Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Railfan Technology > Garmin 2455LMT shows railroads

Date: 04/15/14 14:22
Garmin 2455LMT shows railroads
Author: Heymon

I think this topic came up once before. I had my Garmin Nuvi 1690 stolen recently. Was not planning to replace it but insurance paid for it so I got a Garmin 2455. It shows rail lines and from a fairly significant "zoomed out" distance, whereas the last one didn't show them at all. So in case anyone was wondering... (not that separate portable GPS's are all that popular anymore).

Andre

Date: 04/16/14 04:51
Re: Garmin 2455LMT shows railroads
Author: robj

I originally didn't think much of GPS for railfanning and then found the browse map function on my TomTom.
You can zoom in and out and still show rail lines to some extent. Of course it is not a PC it very small but
once I figured out how to make it work for me, I use it all the time for following a rail line.
I preset destinations and can easily watch my course in relation to a rail line.

Bob Jordan

Date: 04/16/14 18:12
Author: Vanakatherock

Google Maps shows rail lines on my Nexus 5 smartphone. I've used it a couple of times in unfamiliar territory, along with Google Earth, to help plot out locations safe for photo/video.

Date: 04/16/14 21:26
Author: Heymon

Yeah, I usually use Google maps too, especially since my last Garmin didn't show rails. But in a chase or what have you it is nice to have a separate GPS from my phone. It is a little easier to see while driving. Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised by the replaced mapping features and thought some who use GPS units would like to know their options.

Andre

Date: 04/22/14 10:19
Author: Benched_it

I use Google and my GPS for rails. One of the biggest things I follow the rails for is to locate old, abandoned buildings which make for some great urban exploration....and of course trains!

Jay

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0299 seconds