Home Open Account Help 380 users online

Railfan Technology > Tripod recommendation requested

Date: 05/28/14 17:13
Tripod recommendation requested
Author: driscollx

I'm needing a two-way fluid head tripod and was wondering if anyone had a specific model to suggest, say under $300? Thanks!
Eugene Rail Fan

Date: 05/29/14 06:45
Re: Tripod recommendation requested
Author: jkh2cpu

I've got a Manfrotto 3046 that is steady as a rock. The head is extra... I'm thinking you will need to pay more than 300 bucks for new, but there may be some good used equipment out there for patient shoppers.

John.

Date: 05/29/14 07:08
Author: march_hare

I'll second the Manfrotto recommendation. I forget the model number for mine, but it was a whisker over $300 at B&H Photo in NYC a few years ago. If you got a flat tire while railfanning, you could use this thing as a jack stand.

I'd go through B&H web listing for manfrotto tripods and select the biggest heaviest thing you can afford. (and can carry) This is one of those cases where there's no substitute for sheer mass.

Date: 05/29/14 11:57
Author: TCnR

Don't forget most fluid pan heads can be installed on an existing tripod. Check the threads before going too far, the old gear head should be able to be removed. Sometimes there's a rubber cover and some bolts to work with. Nice to have a familiar tripod with a fresh custom gear head on it. Yep, gear head. Or pan head... fluid pan head... B&H is awesome.

Date: 05/29/14 13:11
Author: etts

Unless you always have extra time to spend while waiting for the train on every shot, you are going to want a 75mm ball head, to make it easy to level. I use to have standard Manfrotto faire, but kick myself that I did not use 75mm ball head tripods sooner. Now all my tripods are ball heads except for my lightweight hike-in tripod. I recommend the Libec TH-950DV. It is just under 300 bucks, and I have been happy with this tripod.

Date: 06/01/14 16:10
Author: kato

Vinten.

Date: 06/01/14 21:28
Author: etts

kato Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Vinten.

Original question was for tripods under $300, not under $3000.....

Date: 06/02/14 15:21
Author: davebb71

Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod and the Manfrotto 128RC micro fluid head will make you a happy camper for under $300 bucks. dave, out.

Date: 06/02/14 23:26
Author: driscollx

This is the rig I'm using at the moment. I suspend a 1 gal plastic water jug with a bungee cord which gives good stability, I could even add one more. Going to see if I can't just replace the head.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0509 seconds