Home Open Account Help 214 users online

Railfan Technology > DSLR Video Questions

Date: 06/29/14 16:44
DSLR Video Questions
Author: Necer149

I was thinking of switching to my Canon T2i for videos. I just have some questions for anyone who uses DSLRs for video.

1. When I film in 1920x1080P, should I use the 24 or 30 FPS setting?
2. I'm guessing I should have my shutter speed all the way up and adjust other settings to let more light in?
3. Is it better to have a deeper depth of field when shooting trains?

That's it. I am going up to Buffalo this weekend and as you know the CSX trains can really fly up there. So that will give you an idea on the speed that the train will be going.

Thanks,

Mark

Date: 06/29/14 21:07
Re: DSLR Video Questions
Author: ChooChooDennis

I would suggest lowering the ISO to it's lowest setting (100 probably) then use a 60th of a second shutter speed. 60th of a second will be the same look a pro videographer uses for a natural, smooth video. If you use a much higher a shutter speed, you will get stutter or judder in the movement.

You will see aperture numbers go up so you should get a ND filter (I suggest a 3 stop one) so that you keep the f/stops in the range of f/4 to f/11. With no ND filter you may not have enough f/stops at 60th of a sec in bright sun.

In railfan photography with the cameras, lens length, f/stops we all use generally it is not so much the issue of a broad depth of field (DOF) but one of selecting the correct focus.

For instance, a Canon T series camera with a APS-C sensor, a normal perspective length of 30mm, f/8 and focused at anywhere from 30' to Infinity, you will be in focus from 13' to Infinity. So make sure you have the focus at the train not near you.

Dennis Livesey
New York, NY

Date: 06/30/14 12:53
Author: Necer149

Okay, thanks for the help. I went trackside to test these settings on a fast moving Amtrak train and they worked great!

Thanks again,

Mark

Date: 06/30/14 20:11
Author: ChooChooDennis

Great! Glad to be of help.

Dennis Livesey
New York, NY

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0363 seconds