Home Open Account Help 396 users online

Railfan Technology > Yaesu FT 270 - one more Question

Date: 07/11/14 16:14
Yaesu FT 270 - one more Question
Author: SN711

There has been a lot of great information posted on here about this model as well helpful hints direct from members, but I have one more question to throw out there.

What is an appropriate squelch level setting?

I want it to be fairly sensitive, but there tends to be a lot of interference in some areas on the RR channel I use the most (my old Bearcat scanner had a similar issue on the same frequency).

The BNSF in my area is my favorite where it crosses the coastal hills, so trying to hear from one side to the other puts the radio to the test. I don't want to use too low of a squelch.

What is a happy medium?

Gary

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/11/14 18:01
Re: Yaesu FT 270 - one more Question
Author: NKP715

I think it depends on where you are - larger metro areas
tend to be worse.

Have had my Yaesu FT 270 for about a week, and gave it it's first
trial in the Cresson,PA area, on the NS West Slope. Set squelch to
"off" and it worked well. Was hearing locomotive transmissions
(granted, some signals stronger than others) from 9 - 10 miles away.

Date: 07/12/14 03:49
Author: Necer149

I usually just keep it at off and get a pretty strong signal. Down here in Brunswick, MD, I can usually here trains 10-15 miles and be able to make out what they're saying. Very nice scanner indeed!

Mark

Date: 07/12/14 23:52
Author: wa4umr

Adjust it to what you like. Crank it up if you don't want the squelch noise from time to time but don't crank it up to where you can only hear the strongest signals. Big cities and some industrial locations may require it to be a bit tighter. That's why it's adjustable... different radios, different people, and different situations require different settings.

John

Date: 07/13/14 13:15
Author: SN711

Thanks All.

Gary

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0399 seconds