Home Open Account Help 287 users online

Railfan Technology > Photo test

Date: 07/27/14 12:05
Photo test
Author: oyw

Last week I lost the hard drive on my computer, most was backed up on an external drive but I did lose some recent files. With the help of a close non-railfan friend, he was able to recover all the files and I am working temporarily with a used hard drive until I get a new computer. Many settings are different but I think I've figured it out enough to get by for now. I know monitors are all different so I've posted a couple photos for opinions as far as size, exposure, focus and overall appearance. One is a scanned slide and the other a recent digital photo. Please feel free to let me know if they look right or whether improvements are needed. Thanks much.

OYW

Date: 07/27/14 13:03
Re: Photo test
Author: ATSF100WEST

Bob,

Sorry to hear of your 'puter problems. I know well the feeling. Thank God for external hard drives.

The scanned Rio Grande slide looks a bit too contrasty on my monitor - the blacks look a bit too muddied and dark, and overall the saturation needs a punch.

The KCS digital looks fine.

Best of luck getting it all back to normal!

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 07/27/14 14:15
Author: GRNDMND

I don't want to disagree with Bob, but they look great to me on my monitor. The F in yo' face is mighty fine. I think the lighting on your digital image is just brighter and a more direct head-on sun angle, but hey, what do I know. Like you say, every monitor is different and not everyone agrees on color and/or saturation levels.

KC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/14 14:16 by GRNDMND.

Date: 07/27/14 14:44
Author: robj

I think they look fine. I will guess the F is a little faded and it is a tough high contrast image in not the best light so I give it an OK for what it is.

Bob Jordan

Date: 07/27/14 15:52
Author: oyw

Thanks to those who've commented so far.

Here's another try with the original 5771 scan first, then the modified second. Any difference?

OYW

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/14 15:53 by oyw.

Date: 07/27/14 17:44
Author: GRNDMND

On the second shot of the F, your shadows have been lightened up so they are not "blocking up" as Bob mentioned earlier. Overall brightness of the slide is not that much more noticeable, but with the shadows less intense it does look better.

KC

Date: 07/27/14 17:45
Author: RNinRVR

In the second try on the scan the new one looks very good on my monitor.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Date: 07/27/14 23:00
Author: TheNavigator

Bob,

What Kevin said.

Inasmuch as all monitors are different the 2nd shot looks lighter overall which, when compared next to the original, makes the original look slightly under exposed. Also looks like a bit of dodging (not a bad thing) may have been applied to the 2nd shot which brings out the color and detail nicely in areas that were otherwise devoid of either and/or both.

Gary

Date: 07/28/14 19:19
Author: engine3420

Put a little more green in the photo………and lightened it up a little………..
Chris

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0519 seconds