Home Open Account Help 379 users online

Railfan Technology > DPD Productions TrainTenna 5/8 Wave Mobile Antenna

Date: 09/21/14 03:48
DPD Productions TrainTenna 5/8 Wave Mobile Antenna
Author: lilwes

Lately I have been thinking of getting a new antenna to use with my Bearcat scanner in my car. dose anyone have/use a DPD Productions TrainTenna 5/8 Wave Mobile Antenna? Dose it work better than the stock antenna on a Bearcat? Also, what type of antenna cable connection is on the top of a Bearcat scanner. I am using a Bearcat model BC245XLT. I know it's a little dated but I'em not sure when or if the RR's will go digital and render a scanner mote.
Thanks for all of the help in advance,
later...Wes

Wes Chiles
Topeka, KS

Date: 09/21/14 17:44
Re: DPD Productions TrainTenna 5/8 Wave Mobile Antenna
Author: wa4umr

Just about any 5/8 wave antenna will out perform the standard antenna on a handheld radio. Getting the antenna outside of your car will help also. Generally speaking, the bigger the antenna, the better and a 5/8th wave antenna beats a rubber duck hands down. Don't worry about the cable. You usually get enough hardwired to the mount when you buy it. Unless you fool around with electronics all the time, that is the prefered route to go... nothing to solder or no bad connections. I looked at the DPD Traintenna website and their product comes with the antenna, mount, and 12 feet of RG-58U cable. If you're going to drill a hole or use some mount without the cable some RG-58 or equivalent should work. Just make sure that it is the proper dimensions to fit the mount. The dealer can help you with that. I'm not sure what type antenna connector you have on your scanner but I think it is a BNC, (see the attached photo) I could be wrong about that. Ask the dealer to supply a cable with that type connector if possible of ask for an adapter or you can get one at your local Radio Shack. Most cables terminate in a PL-259 connector, also called a UHF connector. Again, your dealer should be able to help you with that.

Hope that helps.

John, WA4UMR

Date: 09/24/14 04:46
Author: keysubdiv

I noticed the difference in the first ten minutes.
I would recommend the 5/8 mobile. Worth the bucks.

twl

Date: 09/24/14 17:54
Author: RNinRVR

I have started to use one and it has doubled the range I can get on the RF&P sub here in Virginia.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Date: 09/25/14 10:34
Author: Narr8rdanny

Have heard great things about the TrainTenna but have never tried one.
I have, however, owned many MANY 5/8 wave mobile antennas in that effort to find the perfect antenna and in my experience the 5/8 waves do not perform any better than a 1/4 wave whip for receiving.
You can get a nice quarter-wave with a mag mount for about $25.

Danny Harmon
Tampa

Date: 09/25/14 16:29
Author: TCnR

Another vote for a 5/8ths wave improved performance. Haven't had any trouble with them at all, great reception. Sometimes they do add intermod problems, but that's related to the receiver and not really the antenna.

Curious why there was a problem with the previous post?

Date: 09/25/14 17:50
Author: lilwes

I'm going to find out in about a week. I just ordered it last night. I hope to have it i n service when i go to the Great Abilene & Smoky Valley shoot out.
later...Wes

Wes Chiles
Topeka, KS

Date: 09/25/14 20:42
Author: rich6000

I don't think you'll have any problems with it Wes.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.047 seconds