Home Open Account Help 160 users online

Railfan Technology > Need help with a font.

Date: 09/23/14 17:58
Need help with a font.
Author: Frisco1522

I need help from a fontaholic out there somewhere. Anybody know of a font that will work for this? I've been looking at them until my eyes are crossed.
TIA

Date: 09/23/14 18:27
Re: Need help with a font.
Author: zephyrus

Considering when this was done, I doubt it is any particular font. It was probably created as a logotype or set with elements of a typeface that is no longer common.

It appears to be a letter style that was sometimes called "Egyptian", but current Egyptian fonts won't match it.

There are a few fonts that are close.

This is probably most similar to a font called Blue Highway, although the proportions are a bit off. Some of the letters also match letters from the fonts Trebuchet and Letter Gothic.

If you have access to a program like Adobe Illustrator, your best bet would probably be to start with Blue Highway and manipulate the letters to match the logo.

Hope this helps.

You can also try the website http://www.identifont.com/ and use the Indentify by Appearance option to find a closer match.

Z

Date: 09/23/14 23:47
Author: TheCurator

There's a 'Midland' font at railsimstuff.com that's pretty close, except when you create your lettering you'll have to stretch it vertically to get the oval shapes for 'O', 'D', etc.

http://www.railsimstuff.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/14 23:47 by TheCurator.

Date: 09/24/14 13:02
Author: Railtrekker

Looks like someone is on a caboose project!
Good luck and keep us up to date, Gary!

Brian

Date: 09/24/14 16:33
Author: Frisco1522

Actually it's for a Hallmark Midland Valley 601 2-8-2. I've got the numbers figured out, but am struggling with the logo. Maybe I'll drive into Webster Groves and get a really good shot of the logo. Maybe I could size it right and just print it on white decal paper.
I'd forgotten all about this caboose. Wonder if it still looks like this?

Date: 09/29/14 18:52
Author: jdb

In a land long ago and far, far away I used to work for IBM on type bar typewriters, Executive type bar typewriters, Selectric typewriters, and Selectric Composers. IBM had waaay over 50 typestyles for the type bar and Selectric typewriters and about 60 for the Selectric Composer. What you have is a sans-serif type style (font) that is proportionally spaced.

I have an old IBM typestyle catalog and IBM didn't have your style. Close but no cigar. In looking at your photo a little closer I don't think you have a named typestyle/font. I think the letters have probably been hand painted. Take a look at the letter "A." All of them are not alike. And the circle characters like the "C" and "O" aren't shaped exactly the same. I rather like it, it isn't a machined look.

I think you have a good idea about taking a photo and putting it on decal paper. That will give you the most accurate lettering. Pay very close attention that your camera is exactly vertical to the letters you are photographing. And, get as far away as possible. It looks like the photo you show was taken at a slight angle with the camera closer to the bottom letters than the top.

jb

Date: 10/02/14 09:43
Author: fbe

Nice observation jb but just like IBM machines were your friend back in the paper ages Photoshop is your friend now. There are paralax corrections in the program to correct keystoning in taller buildings which will easily adjust the perspective of the photo to make the red lines vertical and parallel. This might prove easier than backing farther away.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.041 seconds