Home Open Account Help 235 users online

Railfan Technology > Is A PTC ATCS Possible

Date: 11/02/14 20:02
Is A PTC ATCS Possible
Author: UPDetector

Knowing we're getting closer and closer to the deadline of Positive Train Control it's had me wondering about this now if the technology and of course installing the hardware would be possible to have a Positive Train Control Active Train Control System, or if it's pretty much impossible.

Date: 11/03/14 12:50
Re: Is A PTC ATCS Possible
Author: jkurt

I don't see why not. What frequencies is the original atcs frequencies on? If that can be converted to the 220MHz frequency and that frequency isn't encrypted then it will be possible.

Date: 11/03/14 13:03
Author: RyanWilkerson

I've heard that PTC is encrypted. ATCS frequencies that I've dealt with are in the high 890s and low to mid 900 MHz range.

Ryan Wilkerson
Fair Oaks, CA

Date: 11/03/14 15:14
Author: jkurt

I wonder why they will use encryption? Not that many people know about ATCS anyway and the ones that do are railfans.
This only is used with 22MHz. I presume they will keep the 160MHz on voice for awhile. Hopefully that won't be encrypted on digital. There was an article out in the most recent trains magazine that NXDN is only used in yards and police as of OCT 2014 and they didn't know the time frame of the digital switchover on the road channels. Posted December Issue Trains.

Date: 11/03/14 17:34
Author: sptno

PTC will utilize the 220 MHz band,typo in the previous post showing 22MHz.

It's going to be interesting to see how all of this works out.

Pat
South Austin, TX
WA5VRO

Date: 11/04/14 12:45
Author: trkspd

I do not see why anyone outside of the RR needs any access to PTC or feels they should have it.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0289 seconds