Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Railfan Technology > What would cause this blue tint

Date: 11/09/14 09:18
What would cause this blue tint
Author: SP8595

When looking at my digital pictures that I took of the 1989 yesterday, I noticed that all of a sudden the pictures were coming out darker than they should have.

When I brought them up into Photoshop, it looks like the pictures have like a bluish film over them that not only darkens the picture but they also seem less sharp.

The obvious answer would be that the camera setting was changed but that does not seem to be the case as every time that I checked it, the setting was always the same.

It started to happen at the end of the day so maybe my camera was just over worked:}

Thanks for any help.

1)A typical Wyoming shot with bleached land.

2)The very next location and it looks like I was shooting in cloud cover but I was not! Also the hills in the background look like they have a purplish tint.

I did absolutely no editing with these pictures, just downsizing and sharpening.

Two more pictures posted below.............

Date: 11/09/14 09:20
Re: What would cause these shots to come out dark?

3)The next location after the first dark shot came out OK.

4)I know for a fact that this picture was taken in "roaring" sunlight and once again came out a lot darker than it should have?

Once again, Thanks for any insight!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/14 09:22 by SP8595.

Date: 11/09/14 09:29
Re: What would cause this blue tint
Author: fbe

These could be color balance issues. If you have the camera on auto color balance or white balance then the sensor might see all that yellow grass and add some blue to the image to bring the warmth down.

You can change the white balance in post processing by choosing a new setting like, daylight, shadow, cloudy or flash. There is also the eyedropper tool to set the colors from a white or neutral grey point in the photo. There is also a tool to set the white from a sliding Kelvin temperature scale where you move the pointer towards the blue or yellow ends.

If it is exposure a lot depends on how much sky vs ground you have in the photo. More sky and the camera will tend to under expose. More ground and the camera will want to brighten things. Dark pine trees filling a frame will usually lead to overexposures though newer metering systems factor the color into the equation.

Knowing the camera brand and model might help here.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/14 09:36 by fbe.

Date: 11/09/14 10:20

Canon Rebel XTi. I just took a week long trip where I took over 400 pictures and all of them turned out fine. Also all of the pictures that I took the day before, none came out dark like this. Strange!

Date: 11/09/14 18:04
Author: upheritage6

SP8595 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Canon Rebel XTi. I just took a week long trip
> where I took over 400 pictures and all of them
> turned out fine. Also all of the pictures that I
> took the day before, none came out dark like this.
> Strange!

There is your problem! Canon! Heheh Just kidding. It probably that happened with the modes.

Date: 11/09/14 20:55
Author: clem

Looking at the EXIF data, the images were taken with four different exposure settings:

1st: f/9, 1/1250
2nd: f/9, 1/1000
3rd: f/8, 1/1000
4th: f/10, 1/1250

If the camera was always on the same exposure setting, it must have been some form of "automatic."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/14 20:56 by clem.

Date: 11/12/14 06:26
Re: What would cause these shots to come out dark?
Author: hot_tub

Were you using auto exposure or relying on the camera's meter? The brighter photos seem to have a "looking down' angle, while the last one is clearly "looking up". I wonder if the camera's angle to the sky affected exposure (though the ground cover is also highly reflective). Also, what was the angle of the sun relative to the subject in each of the photos: was it three quarter lit or side lit? It looks like the exposures are within a stop of each other, so it probably wouldn't take much to send the meter one way or the other. I assume you not exposing manually based on your own view of the light or you wouldn't be asking. Also, were you using a uv or skylight filter (as far as the blue or purple tint goes)? All that aside, I'm sure if you included any of these images in a "slide" show, you would get no complaints!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0465 seconds