Home Open Account Help 257 users online

Railfan Technology > Canon Lens Advice Please

Date: 11/10/14 22:12
Canon Lens Advice Please
Author: gsnyder

I'm starting to look for a new lens to use with my Canon EOS 70D and was wondering if anyone had anything to share regarding 2 of the lenses I'm looking at (see below). I'll check out the usual review sites also but it's always good to find some independent information from actual users. Many thanks in advance.

Lens 1: Canon EF 100 - 400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM
Lens 2: Canon EF 400mm f5.6 USM

Date: 11/10/14 22:44
Re: Canon Lens Advice Please
Author: DBen

11-10-2014: The 100-400's "push-pull" setup caused me to sell mine, in anticipation of the new model having a normal rotation adjustment. Indeed, the new lens has just been announced. I'll look forward to using it with my Canon 7d and Zacuto video setup. Unfortunately, my penny jar doesn't yet have enough for the M2.

Date: 11/11/14 09:07
Author: rfdatalink

I haven't used lens #2. I have lens #1. It's a bit of a beast to carry around and the push/pull zoom takes some getting used to, but I've been very pleased with the results. I've been particularly pleased with the IS. I can successfully hand hold that lens and get good shots at fairly slow shutter speeds. Give the weight of the lens I'm pleased with that.

Stephen

Date: 11/11/14 12:22
Author: CNW8531

You may want to consider getting the new version ll of the 100mm-400mm zoom which is now available for pre-order and should be available in a month or so. It would no doubt have a better IS system than the original version along with other helpful updates you may find useful. It list for $2200. (if that is within your budget) and you can check it out on the B&H or Adorama web sites. It would definitely be a better update over the original version if you can handle the cost. Good luck and happy lens shopping!

Date: 11/11/14 14:55
Author: mojaveflyer

I've never used the 400 mm lens, I own a 100 - 400mm lens. It is heavy and the 'push - pull' operation is different but I have been very successful using it. It is heavy and I added a battery grip to my cameras because the IS systems tends to eat batteries quickly but I love the lens. I did purchase a Canon 70 - 300mm lens recently and it is much lighter and I've had good result with it as well. Good luck!

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 11/12/14 11:32
Author: chico

you can always set up an account at a vendor like lensrental.com (or whatever), rent lenses, try them out before buying.

Go for the L glass would be my one big piece of advice. You pay more, but it's worth it IMO.

chico

Date: 11/12/14 11:54
Author: ATSF5669

I've shot the 100-400 professionally for years and it has been a great lens for trains. For sports or other fast breaking action it leaves something to be desired. It's not the fastest focusing lens in Canon's L lineup, but to be fair to that statement the design is one of the oldest in the Canon inventory. The replacement will start shipping 12/29 per my conversation with Canon Professional Services this morning, but you're WAY down the list at this point, as in a possible February delivery. You can thank the birders and wildlife shooters who want to stack it on top of the 1.4X or 2X coverters for that. While I have never owned the 400 f4, I have shot it a few times. It is an excellent lens start to finish, very sharp, great corner sharpness and color rendition. I own the 500 f4 and it's a marvelous piece of glass also.

Date: 11/12/14 19:42
Author: cn6218

I recall a review on the Luminous Landcape site comparing these two. As I recall, the reviewer thought the 400/5.6 was a much better lens, IF you could live without the 100-399 range. I haven't tried the 100-400 myself, but did use the 400/5.6 for a few days while contemplating a trade for my 70-200/2.8. In the end, the other guy decided he didn't like the 70-200 as much as the 400, and backed out. Since I rarely ever shoot trains at f2.8, I was prepared to replace it with a 70-200/4L, but didn't get the chance.

I did make a few test exposures with my 5D however, and was particularly impressed by its complete lack of ghosting, even in tough conditions like this. The ambient light was almost two stops below full sun, and I'm certain my 200/2.8-X2 combo would have given me some headlight ghosts on the left side of the frame under these conditions. I haven't done anything to this image except boosting the contrast a bit and applying standard sharpening.

GTD

Date: 11/14/14 17:57
Author: redneckrailfan

gsnyder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm starting to look for a new lens to use with my
> Canon EOS 70D and was wondering if anyone had
> anything to share regarding 2 of the lenses I'm
> looking at (see below). I'll check out the usual
> review sites also but it's always good to find
> some independent information from actual users.
> Many thanks in advance.
>
> Lens 1: Canon EF 100 - 400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM
> Lens 2: Canon EF 400mm f5.6 USM

I've had my Canon 100-400L for 11 years now and overall have been really pleased with it. It's been my real workhorse. Currently this lens goes for roughly $1600 new. However, earlier this week Canon just announced a new 100-400L II with the latest Image Stabilization system, updated optical design and twist style zoom versus push-pull of the original lens. Price on the new lens is $2200 and is set to ship in December.

Bryan Jones
Brooks, KY
Bryan's Train Photos

Date: 11/19/14 09:09
Author: dirkb

I've got both. the 100-400 is good, although not quite as sharp as some are. the 70-200 f2.8 LII is amazingly sharp and fast focusing. adding a 1.4 III extender is a good option (although pricier than the 100-400.)

the 400 5.6 is light, razor-sharp and fast focusing - but it is fixed at 400, so that needs to be taken into account. to give an idea of it's capabilities, it's worth noting it's a real popular lens among the very...shall we say picky?...Audubon Society bird watching crowd. I also have the 28-300 (also a push - pull), which is a great 'desert island' lens (if you can only take 1) but it weighs in at...3.7 lbs. All the pics in this thread were taken with it.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/14 09:25 by dirkb.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0633 seconds