Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Railfan Technology > Going back isn't what it used to be

Date: 11/28/14 01:36
Going back isn't what it used to be
Author: Markedup

More and more I'm using Chrome on a Samsung S4 to read TO. If,for instance, I'm looking at the 21st photo on a thread, then click "back", it goes all the way to the start of the thread.This is an annoying waste of time- big PITA. Work around please?

Thanks

Mark

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/14 02:14 by Markedup.

Date: 11/28/14 10:34
Re: Going back isn't what it used to be
Author: etts

iOS

Date: 11/28/14 11:47
Author: westernking

etts Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> iOS
What is that?

Date: 11/28/14 14:12
Author: radar

Just because you have an Android device doesn't mean you are stuck with Chrome as the browser. There a several other browsers available for it. I suggest trying Firefox, and see how you like it. The fact that you can put any software you like on it is Android's strength.

Date: 11/28/14 14:14
Author: radar

westernking Wrote:
> etts Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > iOS
> What is that?

iOS is Apple's operating system for their phones and tablets. In other words, Etts is suggesting getting rid of a perfectly fine device and replacing it with another expensive device. Very practical.

Date: 11/28/14 17:39

Thanks for the ideas, Radar.
I just read Jim's post of Nov. 11 about updates.If TO now does an automatic refresh of page when going "back", could this cause an unintended consequence?

Mark

Posted from Android

Date: 11/28/14 18:00
Author: nicknack

Are you sure it's real Chrome and not the default "Web Browser" that ships with most android devices? Go to the Google Play store and see if that helps. Or on the play store get Mozilla Firefox, that works great for me here on TO.

Date: 11/29/14 07:21
Author: webmaster

This is an issue with your phone browser and is out of our hands. The mobile interface was designed to offer a simple archaic interface that would maximize compatibility across devices. When you click a thumbnail the system is transferring you to the actual jpeg image. It is not embedded into an HTML page like we do for the desktop computer interface. We did it this way so the user can use the mobile device image viewing features to properly scale, and zoom the image. We can't do that if we embedded it into an html page.

When you click the browser back button it is up to the technology built into your web browser to transfer you back to where you were in the thread. If the browser does not have this functionality then there is nothing we can do on our end to force it to return back to the same position you were at. I don't have an Android device, but do have iOS (iPhone), and clicking back returns you to the proper position in thread. Once again, the Apple Safari browser has this functionality built into it, but others may not.

Writing code for mobile devices is challenging because there are so many different flavors, and unlike a standard computer browser they are not exactly standardized. Trainorders.com is not a large enough operation that we can develop and maintain a separate interface for each device. For this reason I recognized when we wrote this that our mobile interface will not always work for everyone. In the forum options control panel you can set our system to not use the mobile interface when accessing from a mobile device. You might find this an acceptable solution. The other suggestion that someone else made is to install a second web browser on your phone that may play better with Trainorders.

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 11/29/14 15:38
Author: trainjunkie

I don't know how to do this on Android but on my iPhone I can click-hold any link and it will give me the option to open the link (whether a page or image) in a new window. Then when I'm done I simply close that window and I'm exactly where I left off on the previous open page. To me this is much faster than scrolling through long threads every time you click on a link and use the back button. Perhaps this will help?

Date: 11/29/14 17:41
Author: Vanakatherock

trainjunkie Wrote:
> I don't know how to do this on Android but on my
> iPhone I can click-hold any link and it will give
> me the option to open the link (whether a page or
> image) in a new window. Then when I'm done I
> simply close that window and I'm exactly where I
> left off on the previous open page. To me this is
> much faster than scrolling through long threads
> every time you click on a link and use the back
> button. Perhaps this will help?

It's the exact same way on Android and in the same manner on a Windows desktop using any browser in the form of a right-click and open in new tab/window. I also do the same on my Android phone and tablet using any various browser. On my phone I use Chrome and on my tablet I tend to use Dolphin as to have Adobe Flash enabled when I want to view a video.

Date: 11/30/14 11:51

trainjunkie Wrote:
> I don't know how to do this on Android but on my
> iPhone I can click-hold any link and it will give
> me the option to open the link (whether a page or
> image) in a new window. Then when I'm done I
> simply close that window and I'm exactly where I
> left off on the previous open page. To me this is
> much faster than scrolling through long threads
> every time you click on a link and use the back
> button. Perhaps this will help?

Thank You!!

To Todd and Junkie and Rock
and everyone who offered help:
I hope this info will be useful
to a much larger number of TO members.

I asked for a workaround, and received one.
The rightclick equivalent on Android works
for me. A new tab is much easier than a very long scroll.

I am moving into the eighth decade of life, so not
many quick studies anymore.

Merry Christmas To All

Mark D.

Fort Wayne, Indiana

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0585 seconds