Home Open Account Help 398 users online

Railfan Technology > Nikon Focus Modes

Date: 12/15/14 22:07
Nikon Focus Modes
Author: tinytrains

I just upgraded my D70 to a D7100. The 3D focus tracking sounds like it should work great for trains once you lock it on the subject. Has anyone tried it?

Opinions on other focus modes?

Thanks,
Scott

Scott Schifer
Torrance, CA
TinyTrains Website

Date: 12/16/14 14:21
Re: Nikon Focus Modes
Author: kgmontreal

I have been shooting with a D7000 for a few years now and have always used the "AF-C priority selection" setting for the autofocus. I've never tried the "Focus Tracking" option. I've never had focus issues other than the occasional out of focus shot due to a ditch light hitting the viewfinder dead center on a dark day.

KG

Date: 12/17/14 07:00
Author: TCnR

Have to agree with the various feature's description sounding good and then the train headlight blows it all out of the water. Eventually I found what may be the 'caveman mode', I walked through the settings as if it was a film camera that was not restricted by the film characteristics. I do use AF,VR, auto-exposure, bracketing, also check the settings and resulting photo everytime, just in case.

Date: 12/17/14 14:13
Author: skyview

I typically do not leave my focus on continuous servo, but rather af-s, auto focus single, using 1 focus sensor not all. Thus I prefocus on the spot I want, then shoot when the train hits the mark.... By using the single focus sensor, and say picking a focus sensor that would not land on the light, I can also follow along without fear of a bad focus lock either on a distant subject, or headlights.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0303 seconds