Home Open Account Help 266 users online

Railfan Technology > Tripod in carry-on bag?

Date: 01/06/15 21:15
Tripod in carry-on bag?
Author: pennsy3750

Actually, I should probably specify that the tripod would be *on* the camera bag.

My backpack-style camera bag has a couple of external straps that hold the tripod. I'm planning a day trip at the end of the month that will require air travel, and I'd like to bring the tripod. If I have it strapped to the outside of the bag, is it likely to raise any TSA eyebrows when I go through security?

This is a single-day trip and I will therefore not be checking a bag, so the tripod either has to go on the outside of the bag, or not go.

Thanks in advance.

Date: 01/07/15 03:30
Re: Tripod in carry-on bag?
Author: kgmontreal

I've never had a problem with my monopod when flying. Tripod should be ok.

KG

Date: 01/07/15 05:31
Author: tsmith5414

I fly with my tripod attached to my bag and I have never had a problem going through security.

Date: 01/07/15 07:37
Author: bioyans

You might get away with it, but be aware that as late as the summer of 2013, the TSA website stated tripods must be transported in checked luggage, and could not be carried on. They appear to have relaxed the rule, to permit carry on of tripods, but you might still run into TSA agents who refuse to allow them onboard. Check the TSA website for the most recent updates, and print out the latest info regarding tripods, just in case you run into trouble. Also be aware that the airline may have tighter restrictions than TSA. If your tripod has removable spiked feet. Take them off and leave the spikes home. There is less chance a TSA agent could consider it a potential weapon, without the spikes.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/15 07:53 by bioyans.

Date: 01/07/15 15:10
Author: ironmtn

I appreciate this note about possible current TSA attitudes on tripods. I have a compact Manfroto tripod that fits nicely into my camera gear backpack. Last trip by air with the tripod along was several years ago. No issue then, but this lets me know that there may be now. As I am planning a railfan-oriented trip for later this year for which I will probably want to have the tripod along, this is useful information. Thanks.

MC
Columbia, Missouri

Date: 01/10/15 17:56
Author: SD45X

My wife carried her tripod on the plane in its bag last year to Spencer and back. No issues.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/12/15 10:42
Author: bioyans

ironmtn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I appreciate this note about possible current TSA
> attitudes on tripods. I have a compact Manfroto
> tripod that fits nicely into my camera gear
> backpack. Last trip by air with the tripod along
> was several years ago. No issue then, but this
> lets me know that there may be now. As I am
> planning a railfan-oriented trip for later this
> year for which I will probably want to have the
> tripod along, this is useful information. Thanks.

Flew to the west coast in the summer of 2013, and specifically looked up the TSA policy on tripods, so I wouldn't get stuck at TSA being told "No" after my luggage had been checked in. At the time, TSA specifically listed tripods as having to be checked, and could not be carried on. Ended up zip-tying my new Vanguard tripod to the clothing restraint straps inside my checked bag, to make removal as difficult as possible for someone who might want to pilfer it.

A look again at the TSA website now shows that tripods can be carried on, but one or more photo blogs have confirmed what I stated above ... some TSA agents aren't aware of the update, or use their allowable "judgment" to determine the item could be used as a weapon, and deny carrying one on under that reasoning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/15 10:42 by bioyans.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0526 seconds