Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Railfan Technology > Is the PBX used anymore?

Date: 01/07/15 01:19
Is the PBX used anymore?
Author: 4451Puff

I got a new scanner for Christmas (Yaesu FT-270) & am beginning to program AAR channels into various groups based on location, etc. This will be the first time in about 20 years that I will be regularly "listening in" again. Back then, when cell phones weren't nearly as commonplace as they are today, the private branch exchange, (i.e radio-telephone interface or "PBX") channels were fairly active. I would expect PBX systems to be fairly obsolete in this day & age, yet in my Altamont Press timetable (from 2009), the PBX channels are still listed. Are they still used, or even maintained anymore? Is it worth it to dedicate a "memory group" in the scanner for them? Thanks in advance for any input.

Desmond Praeztel, "4451 Puff"

Date: 01/07/15 09:27
Re: Is the PBX used anymore?
Author: monaddave

Up here in Montana, MRL and BNSF still use PBX (or sometimes called MRAS). Cell service is lacking.
Dave in Missoula

Date: 01/07/15 13:56
Author: Railbaron

PBX is not generally used very much anymore unless cell service is not available. Most of what PBX activity you will hear will be MOW; managers very rarely use it anymore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/15 13:57 by Railbaron.

Date: 01/07/15 14:57
Author: MrMRL

Railbaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> PBX is not generally used very much anymore unless
> cell service is not available. Most of what PBX
> activity you will hear will be MOW; managers very
> rarely use it anymore.

Conductors and engineers are not allowed to use cell phones while performing service. PBX is used quite frequently every day on the BNSF in many parts of the country for direct communication between yard crews and trainmasters and yardmasters. Personally, I loose track of how many times in a shift at Hobart Yard (Los Angeles, CA) I use PBX to discuss an active yard move with the front seat TM.

~ Mr. MRL

Date: 01/07/15 15:15
Author: David.Curlee

Railbaron Wrote:
> PBX is not generally used very much anymore unless
> cell service is not available. Most of what PBX
> activity you will hear will be MOW; managers very
> rarely use it anymore.

Even then, PBX is less and less used by MOW employees.

BNSF and UP have ways for MOW employees to request and release track authority via laptop computer in their vehicles. No voice communication required.

Date: 01/07/15 16:03
Author: EMDSW-1

UP is using many of the input/output frequencies the PBX's used for other purposes. An example is the old SP Mt. Scott PBX (Portland, OR) input (AAR 70) is now the Brooklyn intermodal switching channel. The other half of the pair (AAR 56) is most likely one of the RCL repeater pairs. Haven't heard yhe old Mt. Scott PBX in several years.

Dick Samuels
O P R

Date: 01/08/15 09:22
Author: imrl

The UP in the Kansas City area at least, eliminated PBX channels as far as I know. Some are being used for normal radio frequencies now. I actually liked to use them. When they came out with the rule banning cell phone use, I would always get a kick out of calling a manager over PBX telling him how many cars I was bringing him. He would start to freak out and yell at me before he realized I wasn't violating the rule by still basically just talking on the radio.

Date: 01/08/15 11:39
Author: Rick2582

PBX is still in service on the Shasta Route according to the UPRR radio tech folks. It is used infrequently, mostly when there is no cell service.

Date: 01/11/15 00:03
Author: daniel3197

David.Curlee Wrote:
> Railbaron Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > PBX is not generally used very much anymore
> unless
> > cell service is not available. Most of what PBX
> > activity you will hear will be MOW; managers
> very
> > rarely use it anymore.
>
> Even then, PBX is less and less used by MOW
> employees.
>
> BNSF and UP have ways for MOW employees to request
> and release track authority via laptop computer in
> their vehicles. No voice communication required.

Thank you VERY much for this info on some all wireless laptop puter RR comms.
When , what year, did the RRs start using this wireless laptop comm system ???
I have been anticipating for many many years that this day would come.
One wonders in the year 2020 or 2030 how much VHF VOICE Radio comms will railroads use ??

I feel very fortunate to have experienced the golden age of railroad radio since the early 1980s or about 30 years ago. Almost EVERY RR function was broadcast via the open 2 way radio systems and the PBX back then. Those were very very GOOD years with very friendly railroaders, CLEAN freight cars with NO graffiti and very BEAUTIFUL train locomotive Horns.
--- Daniel

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/15 00:06 by daniel3197.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0715 seconds