Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Railfan Technology > FRA Crossing Locator App for iPad/iPhone

Date: 01/15/15 21:02
FRA Crossing Locator App for iPad/iPhone
Author: 251F

Here's an app for iPad/iPhone that overlays all the FRA public and many private grade crossings across the US. Best part, it's free!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rail-crossing-locator/id643005214?mt=8

On my wife's iPad Air 2, the map uses GPS data from the Apple locator and displays your location. You can freely browse the entire country and enlarge.

daniel

Date: 01/16/15 18:09
Re: FRA Crossing Locator App for iPad/iPhone
Author: SN711

Thanks, I have been looking for something like that fory iphone.

Gary

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/17/15 09:28
Author: sp219

Date: 01/17/15 10:35
Author: jst3751

Thanks for posting this.

Date: 01/18/15 20:12
Author: tinytrains

I have been playing with that. It has a lot of errors. Wrong railroad, or crossings where there has never been a track (bad data entry).

Worth everything I paid for it!

Scott Schifer
Torrance, CA
TinyTrains Website

Date: 01/26/15 10:12
Author: SN711

I noticed a lot of location errors as well. I am wondering if it has to do with the old longitude/latitude readings that were done the old analog way before GPS. The old Lon/Lat locations were best estimates. (some better than others). A few years ago when the local county was planning on upgrading it's radio system, they used a computer program to map out the expected radio coverage areas based on the existing radio tower locations. They used the Lat/Lon coordinates off of the old FCC licenses and soon discovered that with GPS the actual tower locations were not at the coordinates that were made by the surveyors. The surveyor coordinates did not always place the towers in the correct location or even on the top of the hill. They had to go out to the radio tower sites with a GPS unit to get the true coordinates. If the Lon/Lat used in the railroad crossing locations was determined the old "analog" way, that would explain why some are pretty far from the tracks.

Gary

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0311 seconds