Home Open Account Help 238 users online

Railfan Technology > Canon announces some new goodies ...

Date: 02/05/15 20:33
Canon announces some new goodies ...
Author: bioyans

For those of you who might be in the market for a new camera body or lens, looks like Canon is unleashing a few new goodies ...

- Two new 50 Megapixel bodies based on the 5D platform ... a 5DS, and a 5DS "R" which is basically identical to the 5DS, with the exception of having no low-pass filter.

- Two new Rebel bodies, including a T6i, and a T6s. One will have the top LCD panel, and other features only typically found higher up in the product line.

- A new EF 11-24 F4L lens ... an extreme wide-angle rectilinear zoom (if you don't mind plunking down $3K for a new lens).

Rumors are also flying that Canon will unveil a new 5D Mark IV, with lower pixel count, but better low light performance and video capabilities than the 5DS series, and a replacement for the 1DX later in the year.

So who is going to be the first one to get one of them in their hands, and let us know how well they work in rail photography? :-)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/15 20:39 by bioyans.

Date: 02/05/15 21:00
Re: Canon announces some new goodies ...
Author: K3HX

Here's a link to a discussion of the new goodies:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/5/7990113/canon-5ds-750d-760d-announcement-price-specs

More info from the B&H Newsletter with prices:

Canon EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R
Digital SLR Cameras

With a 50.6-megapixel CMOS sensor, the 5DS and 5DS R have just become the highest-resolution full-frame DSLR cameras on the market. Designed with the still photographer in mind, these cameras will deliver the absolute best in image quality with a variety of built-in features for photographers to take control of all aspects of their shooting. Where they differ is the 5DS R’s low-pass filter (LPF) effect cancellation that allows photographers to squeeze every last bit of resolution from the sensor. The only downside of this is the greater potential for moiré and other color artifacts. Otherwise, the EF-mount 5DS and 5DS R share the same features, including Dual DIGIC 6 Image Processors for handling the vast amounts of information produced during image capture and an ISO range of 100-6400, which can be expanded to 50 or 12800. READ MORE >

5DS – Body Only $3,699.00 5DS R – Body Only $3,899.00

Be Well,

Tim Colbert K3HX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/15 21:24 by K3HX.

Date: 02/05/15 21:07
Author: fbe

Here's the word from DPReview.

http://m.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-5ds-sr

This is a Sony sensor so expect 50 moix bodies from Sony and Nikon using this sensor as well.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 02/05/15 21:09

fbe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's the word from DPReview.
>
> http://m.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-5ds-sr
>
>
> This is a Sony sensor so expect 50 moix bodies
> from Sony and Nikon using this sensor as well.
>
> Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

There has been some speculation in the Canon world that Sony and Canon have exchanged patents, as part of a deal to keep the same sensors out of Nikon's product line.

Date: 02/06/15 06:53

Nikon did something similar with the 36 mpix sensors in the D800 cameras. I would suspect if Nikon wants a 50 mpix body there will be a way for Sony to sell the same basic 50 mpix physical sensor with Nikon patent firmware to make this work. This difference between 50 mpix and 36 mpix is not going to be as noticeable as the difference between 36 mpix and 20 mpix.

I am watching the new 4K monitor models so you can really see the quality of the camera image over what you can get over current monitors in the 1080P range.

Date: 02/06/15 09:38
Author: march_hare

K3HX Wrote:
......>
>
> 5DS – Body Only $3,699.00 5DS R – Body
> Only $3,899.00
>
> Be Well,
>
> Tim Colbert K3HX

--------------------------------

I WAS well until I got to the price...

Date: 02/06/15 12:28

fbe Wrote:
> Nikon did something similar with the 36 mpix
> sensors in the D800 cameras. I would suspect if
> Nikon wants a 50 mpix body there will be a way for
> Sony to sell the same basic 50 mpix physical
> sensor with Nikon patent firmware to make this
> work. This difference between 50 mpix and 36 mpix
> is not going to be as noticeable as the difference
> between 36 mpix and 20 mpix.

Canon is now stating that the new 50MP sensor is their own ... designed and manufactured by them. It also seems that they aren't putting 4K video in these, because the bodies are aimed primarily at studio and landscape still shooters. These bodies seem more specialized, and the 5D Mark IV (rumored to be coming in August) will be the "all around" version of the 5D platform.

I was looking to go full frame sometime this year, but may hold off and see what Canon does with the Mark IV, before deciding which body to go with. That is, if a good deal on a 5D3 doesn't become too great to resist. :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/15 12:29 by bioyans.

Date: 02/06/15 13:24
Author: BRAtkinson

Unfortunately, in my opinion, the 'law of diminishing returns' was hit at about 18 megapixels. Having shot film and slides for perhaps 35-40 years and only 15 years or so with digital, the image quality improvement from a 3mp point-and-shoot my current 22.3 mp DSLR camera is noticeable, but not completely attributable to the sensor, or its size, in my opinion. It's more about the glass in front of the lens! As I improved what was in my camera bag, the biggest 'jump' I saw in image quality (IQ) was largely attributable to better-quality lenses and my improved photography skills.

Interestingly, or, perhaps not so, I was more than satisfied with my photography results with the 3mp, and later 5mp point and shoot cameras. Moving to an 8mp 'crop sensor' camera and consumer-grade lenses was an IQ improvement, and except for low-light shooting, that gear was more than sufficient for my needs. My upgrade to an 18 mp crop sensor camera and then a 22.3 mp full-frame camera resulted in little easily visible image quality improvement, in my opinion. But what I did get was improved auto-focusing capabilities, improved low-light high-ISO speed capabilities, and a big-time hit on my credit cards to pay for it all. Among the photography community, it's call GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome.

Also be aware of the issues putting a high megapixel sensor behind a cheap lens. The results are limited by what the cheap lens can produce, not the sensor. (Don't put cheap 'protection' filters in front of your good glass, either!) The opposite is also true, a cheap, low-end sensor and high quality glass will still yield less than desirable results. The problem, in my opinion, is that everyone is looking for 'razor sharp' pictures 100% of the time. And then, when they zoom in at perhaps 200x on their computer screen, they don't see perfectly straight lines, 'they' get upset and believe their equipment is inferior. Too often, and I mean wayyyyy TOOOO often, I see less than sharp photo results caused by user error, not camera/lens design, cost, or problems. The biggest causes are a too slow shutter speed, and/or a too thin depth of field, and/or missed focus. Understanding and applying the photography exposure triangle and its compromises is far more responsible for creating sharp photographs than is the number of pixels or what brand/model of camera you have. And leaving your expensive camera in "Auto" mode will not produce great results except by luck alone.

And as an aside to the 'newest, biggest, best' camera with the highest pixel count is a lesson I have learned in the past 15 years or so...the files produced by the cameras get bigger and bigger with each 'generation'. What started out as, say, an 800 kilobyte JPG from my 3mp camera 15 years ago, is now a 7 megabyte JPG + 25-30 megabyte RAW files from my 22.3mp camera! Hard drive space goes very quickly and the computer 'horsepower' needed to edit the photos has grown as well. Fortunately, computer power has gotten cheaper by the day, and what was a 1.4ghz single processor computer has been upgraded multiple times to a slightly-overclocked 4.9 ghz quad processor with 16gb RAM to do my photo editing. Waiting 20-30 seconds or more for a simple noise-reduction action is not acceptable when I have to edit and make a presentation of perhaps 200 pictures and get it done in a week or so.

So, before deciding to 'jump in' on a major camera upgrade, consider 'everything else' that has to be upgraded as well, in addition to your credit card limit!

Date: 02/06/15 15:52

If anyone is shooting 24 mpix or more and not using raw they are using the wrong camera. They could have saved a lot of money on their last body purchase.

Nothing personal but just a note about using the wrong tool for the job.

Date: 02/07/15 09:24
Author: WrongMain

Just goes to show ya, the most important tool is the one pushing the shutter button. All the latest and fanciest gear you can buy won't mean a thing if you can't improve your own skills. God knows, I find this out almost every time I take a picture...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0633 seconds