Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Railfan Technology > Scanner suggestions

Date: 02/10/15 13:09
Scanner suggestions
Author: ns5801

I am looking for a new scanner and wanted to get suggestions on what to get. My price range is up to 200 dollars. All help is appreciated.
thanks

Jacob Leukhardt
ns5801

Date: 02/10/15 13:15
Re: Scanner suggestions
Author: trainjunkie

Radio or photo scanner?

Date: 02/10/15 13:53
Author: ns5801

Radio

Date: 02/10/15 14:46
Author: TCnR

Keeping in mind the looming change to Digital Radio would obsolete most currently available hobby radios, I'm pretty happy with Yeasu FT-270 and a gain antenna for the RR Band. Also have a FT-60R that covers the EOT device frequencies, but not so much as the FT-270 for volume and controls, also a bit more heft. The method of entering frequencies is awkward to many people, there is a software package and interface cable that greatly simplifies the task. cost of Radio, antenna and S/W is pretty close to $200 but the reception is better than anything I've seen on the market.

There's also some Kenwood's and other favorites out there. I was considering re-sale value to help get around the Digital thing. Something to consider is whether the radio will transmit on the RR Band, for most cases that is not a good idea.

Date: 02/10/15 18:49
Author: cchan006

ns5801 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Radio

If you want a cheap, quick solution, handheld Uniden Bearcat (BC-72XLT, for example) will do the job. That's the only scanner I've used for railfanning, and I've had it for more than 6 years, and it still works. Jmf1910 also uses a similar setup, although his sensitivity is better than mine standing side-by-side with the same antenna (Diamond RH77CA). I suspect his Bearcat has a newer revision circuit board or something.

I'm going to boast that I have a good track record of train hunting "kills" using my Uniden.

It is quite inferior to the Yaesus and the GREs (Radio Shack) when I compared its performance side-by-side with other railfans' units, so you get what you pay for. However, in light of the upcoming digital radio technology, you might consider "throw away value" instead of resale value, to minimize your potential loss.

Date: 02/10/15 19:56
Author: nomosantafe

I would look for a used Yaesu VX-150 on ebay.

I have 2 of them and they are great. Bought the first one used and programmed for $100 8 years ago. Bought a second one for $65.00 on ebay a couple years ago

Download the manual from the internet. Keep a copy with you, as it is pretty easy to mess things up by pushing the wrong button(s).

Get a Larsen 1/4 wave magnet mount antenna for the car and you are in business.

Was listening to it today as I drove between Cleburne and Ft Worth.

For more on this radio : type in VX-150 in the search box, railfan technology, and all years for search criteria.

Nomosantafe
Fort Worth, Texas
"Where the West Begins"

Date: 02/10/15 20:01
Author: wa4umr

The Baofeng radios have a decent receiver but they would not qualify as a scanner. They are cheap, or maybe I should say "inexpensive." You can find them for about $40.00 If you program in 100 channels and try to scan through them it takes about 30 seconds to go through them all. The programming is awkward, at least as a ham transceiver, but then again, most of them are fairly complicated compared to a plain old scanner. The manual is about 15 pages (the manual for my Yaesu is about 160 pages.) The antenna connector is the opposite sex of most anything else. Not a problem if you don't have anything else that you might want to use and swap antennas with. It's OK if you just want to pick a channel or two and leave it there. Also, as mentioned previously, BEWARE. These WILL transmit on the railroad frequencies. It's not likely but you could interfere with railroad communications if you stick it in your back pocket and the Push to talk button gets pressed by the screwdriver in your pocket or something bumps it when you throw it in the car seat. I haven't found a way to prevent it other than opening it up and cutting a connection inside the radio.

One of the Bearcats or something from RadioShack would be sufficient. Let your pocketbook be your guide. The more options and memories you want, the more bucks you need. A step up would be one of the Amateur radio transceivers mentioned above. Difficult to program without the software but they are great radios. The only thing better would be one of the commercial grade radios.

I also suggest an antenna upgrade, no matter what radio you choose. The MFJ-1717 (or whatever has the proper connector for your radio) is less than $20.00. They are about 16" long and will beat you to death if you put the radio in your shirt pocket but if you hang it on your belt or put it in you back pocket, it works great. A small antenna is a compromise to accommodate physical requirements only. Generally, the bigger the antenna, the better the antenna, provided it meets the desired electrical characteristics.

Digital communications is coming. There is a recent discussion pertaining to that at:
http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?9,3638888 Right now there is nothing on the consumer market that will copy NXDN. The article mentioned a new radio on the horizon but it's going to be expensive. It's something that several of us have been following for a few years. NXDN requires licensing for a manufacturer (not the user) to incorporate it in their product as I understand it. NSDN is starting to appear in services other than railroading but not enough for the scanner manufacturers to throw down the bucks to purchase the license.

So what does that mean. Well, the railroads are upgrading their radios for narrowband FM and NXDN. They have been in the process for about 4, maybe 5 years and a few have converted to it. Some of the Class 1s are using it small areas, yards, shops, MOW, etc... A few branch line are using it. Buying an available scanner today will be something you can be happy with for at least a year or three. Eventually the railroads will convert to digital and whatever you buy today or next month will become will become obsolete.

I hope this provides some useful information. Go to the search function and look for "scanners" in the last year.

John

Date: 02/11/15 14:22
Author: kgmontreal

I'm very happy with my Yaesu FT250R. I also have a Bao-Feng that is ok because I only put 20 channels in it. As far as I am concerned the Bearcat 72XLT is an entry level scanner that is easy to program but will only receive transmissions that are very close by.

KG

Date: 02/11/15 18:52
Author: trkinsptr

I also recommend the Yaesu FT250R scanner.Just program in all the RR channels and use what you need for your area. They are small, well made and work good with 1/4 & 5/8 wave antennas on vehicles.use the Ct44 microphone adapter to hook in to your car speakers.CJ

Date: 02/12/15 13:00
Author: CPR-489

I use the Yaesu FT250R with MFJ 1717 antenna and it works very well and better than any scanner that i've ever tried out. Also don't over look the Yeasu FT-270 it allows you set up scan banks. A good friend uses this model and does excellent as well. With both they can be set-up by hand but so much easier if you get the software.

Also another good hand held that a few friends use for ham radio is Kenwood THK20A it does great as scanner on rail band as well and will do the narrow band

I've done a lot of business with MTC out of Paris, Tx with my Kenwood mobiles the TM 281a they have great service and prices.

Here's the Hand Held Kenwood http://www.mtcradio.com/kenwood-th-k20a-2-meter-5-5-w-ht/

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0773 seconds