Home Open Account Help 284 users online

Railfan Technology > antenna update

Date: 02/27/15 07:16
antenna update
Author: Cole42

Earlier in the month I jumped on in the "scanner antenna suggestions" thread about a mobile antenna to replace a generic radio shack magnetic mount that died, and received some good information. Since I am no radio guy I went with the "traintenna" so I didn't have to cut anything. I use it with a Yaesu FT270R which already gets good reception, but having used it twice (most recently this morning), I am quite surprised at the improvement in reception. I am picking up a lot more than I used to, to the point it is almost too good in that I am hearing trains nowhere near my location. I was used to only hearing trains approaching within several miles of where I was (CSX calling signals) but now am getting detectors and picking up dispatcher transmissions and some distant trains all around central MD area.

It is quite impressive the difference a good antenna makes. For those of us with no radio background, an antenna is an antenna - heck a coat hanger should help if you stick it out the window... but it is very noticeable having an antenna that is set for a certain band as opposed to a generic one-size-fits-all one.

So for anyone else in TO land that is clueless about radios/antennas, there IS a huge difference between a generic scanner and antenna and a ham-style radio and railroad band antenna.

Date: 02/27/15 08:36
Re: antenna update
Author: jkh2cpu

Indeed, the antenna is important, but often not considered
is the connection between the antenna and the radio. If either
one is faulty or not up to snuff, the signal strength is
reduced from the optimal that can be delivered.

You may have also been listening on a day when skip (thermal
ducting) is giving the signals extra coverage.

It's complex and lots of fun for radio types.

John, aka K6KMJ.

Date: 02/27/15 09:12
Author: TCnR

If the coat hanger is shaped correctly and cut to the right length it will work great.

Good to hear the set up is working for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/15 02:09 by TCnR.

Date: 02/27/15 19:05
Author: Valleyman

Cole42, where did you purchase your antenna from? Was it shipped or did you in store purchase?

Valleyman

Date: 02/28/15 07:17
Author: Cole42

Valleyman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Cole42, where did you purchase your antenna from?
> Was it shipped or did you in store purchase?
>
> Valleyman

I ordered it online through DPD productions. I had googled traintenna and Larsen antennas, and after the replies on the other thread went with traintenna so I didn't have to do anything but attach it, sorta like plug and play.

Date: 02/28/15 09:29
Author: TCnR

Has anyone had experience with a Retailer cutting an antenna to length for them?

Agree the Traintenna is already cut, curious if any retailers would trim a Larsen, etc.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0316 seconds