Home Open Account Help 294 users online

Railfan Technology > FRA cell phone APP for RR Xing incidents

Date: 03/10/15 14:13
FRA cell phone APP for RR Xing incidents
Author: wcamp1472

From "Emergency Responders Need to Know...." Elsewhere..

I just loaded the FRA App as suggested in the Post....

I recommend that ALL TO participants to load this APP , and have all their friends load the APP.

The original thread has GOOD info.

Wes C.

Date: 03/10/15 15:47
Re: FRA cell phone APP for RR Xing incidents
Author: jst3751

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?9,3634034

Hopefully they have worked out some kinks by now.

Date: 03/10/15 16:49
Author: wa4umr

It's a nice app but has lots of errors as reported in the previous thread. Seems to be a data entry problem. In one situation where I live, it has a string of about 25 crossings on the wrong side of the county. They all parallel the route they belong to. Someone typed a 7 when they should have hit the 8 and then copied it for then next 25 or so entries. Some of the crossings have no information, or the info is in the wrong spot. I'd say that about 90% of them are correct and that's a good start. Better than nothing.

John

Date: 03/10/15 17:23
Author: wcamp1472

John,

Thanks for he update on the erroneous crossing ID information on the FRA's Crossing ID APP.

Is there a way to 'catalog' the KNOWN current mapping/data errors?

I'd like to explore how to build a data base of the known problems.
And, become "part of the Solution"....

Yes,I know that there are Government folks, contractors, etc. paid to do this; but, maybe with TO members, scouting the crossings in their area, we could build a credible list and be specific about the apparent conflict of data. And, collect & report the data in a very rapid time frame.

Wes C.

Date: 03/11/15 11:30
Author: BCutter

And -- as I just found out (after I sent the info to our firefighters) -- there are apps for both Android and Apple devices.

Bruce
Columbia, MO

Date: 03/11/15 20:39
Author: wa4umr

wcamp1472 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> John,
>
>
>
> Is there a way to 'catalog' the KNOWN current
> mapping/data errors?
>
>
I've had the APP on both my I-phone and my I-pad. There is a function on the APP that lets you send an update or comment to the FRA. I don't know how they handle the input since the data is supposed to be supplied by the state or the railroad. I would suspect that the FRA would pass the info back to the state agency or RR that supplied the information and have them verify and update the records. That could take months. It's better than nothing, that's for sure. At least around my town, it's probably 90% accurate. I just need to sit down and pump out about 50 corrections to them.

The APP has a function to review the Crossing Inventory Record and you can review the FRA "Highway-Rail Grade Crossing Accident/Incident Reports.

Hey, this might be a way for them to get the updates they need to correct the database.

John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0435 seconds