Home Open Account Help 350 users online

Railfan Technology > Settings Used In Vuescan For Kodachrome

Date: 03/24/15 10:39
Settings Used In Vuescan For Kodachrome
Author: Sneebly

I have been having troubles with scanning Kodachrome with a Nikon Coolscan 5000ED when using Vuescan.  Previously I used Nikonscan but when I try using that the scanner now locks up. Vuescan seems to work but it does not seem to make as nice of a scan as the Nikonscan produced.  My computer is a win7 64 bit with 16GB of ram.  I had found a kludge on the net that allowed Nikonscan4.03a to work with win7 64.  That worked for awhile, but then the scanner would lock up when clicking on Nikonscan.  Having previously installed Vuescan it works but the colors seem way off.  Would anyone have settings like color RGB values etc that they use for Vuescan.  These scans are for archival purposes.

Also when I scan in Vuescan there appears a circle with a flashing x in the middle, where do I need to place this and adjust the image settings.  Is this for like white balance or black balance or what purpose is that for.  Vuescan documentation provides no mention of this.

Thanks for any help!

Sneebly

Date: 03/24/15 12:37
Re: Settings Used In Vuescan For Kodachrome
Author: jkh2cpu

I'd check with the guy that writes vuescan.  I've got a copy here, and
I know that he says he likes to track down problems in his code.

HTH.

John.

Date: 03/25/15 21:31
Author: ACR_Ted

I too was having lock-up problems with my Nikon ED4000 scanner, and I think it was account Microsoft did an 'upgrade' recently with a bunch of Win 7 updates. After trying a different FireWire port and cable (which didn't help) I then used the Win 7 compatibility feature to have VueScan run as if on a Vista machine.

So far no problems....

Ted

Date: 03/26/15 17:18
Author: trainjunkie

Vuescan is very powerful and has enough flexibility to obtain good scans from virtually any original. That being said, its downfall is its complexity and, IMHO, the lack of an intuitive interface. This seems to be especially true for Mac users, such as myself, who abhor complex UIs. Still, I find it miles easier to use than Silverfast which, to me, is the ultimate UI disaster.

Nobody can give you settings that will really help you since there are too many variables (scanners, computers, displays, films). You just need to experiment until you find the right combination. There is a decent User Guide by the developer here:

http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/html/vuesc.htm

In particular, this page has some useful links that might help you find the right group of settings.

http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/html/vuesc11.htm#appendixa

The only other advice I can give is to read the entire manual over and over, very carefully. Become intimately familiar with the menu items:

http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/html/vuesc27.htm

Also, be patient, try a bunch of different settings, and when you find the right one save the profile as a .ini file so you can always go back to it. See File > Save Options at the above link.

Date: 04/09/15 12:41
Author: LV95032

flashing cicle is the focus point.
colors are usually too blue so knock down the blue on the color slider (I was usually around 85). adjust othe sliders until preview looks close to being correct - really not very complex.

Rich

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0536 seconds