Home Open Account Help 376 users online

Railfan Technology > Video Camera Suggestion $400-$500 range.

Date: 04/18/15 18:26
Video Camera Suggestion $400-$500 range.
Author: tehachapi-dave

Looking for a video camera in the above price range, $400-$500 dollars as my current one is going to the graveyard due to a fall.  Needs to have an external mic output as my only real requirement.   Any suggestions?  

Thanks in Advance,
Tehachapi-TJ Over & Out.

Date: 04/18/15 19:43
Re: Video Camera Suggestion $400-$500 range.
Author: RFandPFan

I purchased a Panasonic HC-V750 Digital Camcorder.  It shoots in HD with 5.1 channel surround sound and also does 24 megapixel still photos.  It also has 20X optical zoom and digital zoom (I don't use).

It takes great video and stills and another feature is that you can take still photos at the same time you are video taping.  So, for example, if I'm shooting a video of a passing train but also want a still photo of the engines, I can hit the button to take a still shot and it does not affect the video.  It also has a feature where you can capture a still photo while playing back a video on the camera.

I use a 64GB SD card and it has more than enough room for a day's shooting.  You will need some storage space to archive the video files.  I use a 4TB and a 5TB external hard drive.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1023343&gclid=Cj0KEQjw0fOoBRDn88Pol8bqhN0BEiQARGVJKlQ7wHYT6L8KRS9Y8vg_kOnU7B26OgmDJLQA687oPMAaAguV8P8HAQ&Q=&is=REG&A=details

If you want to see some samples of rail videos I took with it, go to YouTube "GIMRRC" channel and the newest videos posted were done with this camera.  Hope this helps.  PM me if you need any specific questions about it answered.

Date: 04/20/15 00:43
Author: F40PHR231

I've had experiences with both Panasonic and Sony hand-held cameras, and while reviews are aplenty online, the only suggestion I have is to consider 4K format. The 4K Panasonics and Sonys seem to be going for $200-300 more than your wish list, but it'll pay to be ahead of the technology curve, something I wish I'd done fifteen years ago when I put a lot of effort into cheap VHS tapes. Most 4K cameras allow you to downgrade to 1080 HD in case you're wanting to save on hard disk space and save 4K for the more significant events.

Date: 04/19/15 11:05
Author: railnuts

I've been using a JVC 30GB Hard Disk HDD Camcorder with a 32X optical zoom, 4 different modes to choose from with a battery life from 7-30 hrs depending on how u shoot.
Been using it for a few years now with no problems. Comes with a SD card for a little more mileage. No tape to deal with. Just download it to your PC or MAC.
Format works on the three different video editers i have.
I would think that the price has come down into the range your looking for.
Only thing it doesn't have is a external jack for a mic. Still,  i used to shoot with a added mic and this little baby gives u good sound anyway.
Used it down in Spencer when the HU's were there and got some real good video which i still haven't edited all of it yet.
Gives u nice still shots too!!, and with a good sturdy tripod (i use a Manfrotto with a fluid head) for when im setup on ledge/rockcuts or down in the flatlands
I love it, works for me

Fred

Date: 04/19/15 10:18
Author: MojaveBill

GoPro!

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 04/19/15 12:32
Author: 576

Since 2013, my Sony Handycam HDR-PJ380 has served well with surprisingly superb image quality and sound feedback. There is a jack for an external mic, but no place to put it on unless the microphones come with an adhesive pad to mount on top.

Date: 04/19/15 13:05
Author: Auburn_Ed

Does GoPro IV come with a 'normal' lens?  Any optical zoom at all?  If it did, it would certainly be a likely candidate.  My GoPro II is great, except for the lack of these features.

Ed

Date: 04/19/15 16:59
Author: judahrice

Canon T4i

Date: 04/19/15 21:00
Author: syscom3

I have a Canon Vixia HFR20. It does great general purpose work for railroad video's.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0416 seconds