Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Railfan Technology > The old Photoshop argument.

Date: 04/22/15 13:57
The old Photoshop argument.
Author: Frisco1522

I just bought a new computer.   Three months ago, I reformatted the HD on my old computer and went to install my old version of Photoshop CS, which installed fine, but I couldn't register it due to it being so old.  Adobe told me I could download CS2 and gave me a link and a key to do it.
Well, I'm going through the same crap with the new one.  I talked with Adobe and they went Sgt. Schulz on me and "don't know nothing".   Does anyone out there have the link for me to download CS2 and get on with my life?
Barring that, a question or two about the "rental" version of PS and LR for $10 month.  For instance, do you have to save everything to the "cloud" or folders on your HD.  I'm sort of a functional illiterate with Photoshop, and frankly was satisfied with CS.   Almost all of my work is scanning old negs and cleaning them up in PS.  CS worked just fine for what I was doing with it.
Somebody help an old man out here.  If the rental version is the answer, I'll do that.  I'm not going to pay the astronomical prices for CS6 on disk, so that option is out.

Date: 04/22/15 16:00
Re: The old Photoshop argument.
Author: TAW

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Barring that, a question or two about the "rental"
> version of PS and LR for $10 month.  For
> instance, do you have to save everything to the
> "cloud" or folders on your HD.

I went to the subscription version of anything that offers it because I do a wide variety of things that requires a wide variety of software. The cash outlay for software is huge when buying a new machine.

The software lives in your machine. If they update, you get a message that the update is available. You tell it yes and the software is updated. I have been doing subscriptions for over a year and have never had a problem.

They offer cloud, but you don't need to use it. The software is on your machine and works like any other software on your machine. Microsoft, Autodesk, and others offer cloud storage too. Some even offer cloud as your first choice for location, but you don't need to do that. I don't use it. I don't trust my stuff on somebody else's machine.

TAW

Date: 04/22/15 20:59

Thanks.  I downloaded the trial versions of PS and LR.  Got an error message on both that said all features didn't load, but PS seems to work OK.  If I keeps running well, I'll take the leap.

Date: 04/23/15 08:00
Author: Vanakatherock

Question: Is your new computer a Windows 8/8.1 machine by chance? If so, be sure to perform the install on the "desktop" of the computer and not on the "Metro/Tablet" layout where you see the tiles.

Date: 04/23/15 09:21
Author: meixel

It is my understaning the Adobe Cloud products will stop working, after a month, if they can't "call home" via the Internet to verify your license.  I have also been told that you can disable automatic updating if you need that.

Date: 04/23/15 18:52
Author: BRAtkinson

I don't know about Adobe, but most computer software vendors now "lock" the users into 2 installations of the product, at most.  Installation #2 frequently requires contacting the vendor and explaining you had a hard drive crash, or whatever, as the reason you need to install the software a second time.  After that, it's no dice.  At least, that's what I've discovered. 

I've even purchased and downloaded software online that after 2 weeks, the link to the downloadable  oftware will be non-functional.  Bottom line, if I reformat my C: drive, I will be forced into paying as much as $500 to replace all the software that I currently have running.  That's a fact of life.  Every time I've upgraded computers to the latest version of Windows, I've had to spend $300 or more to replace various software products that are not compatible with the new operating system.

At the same time, the software vendors also cease providing support for their old, outdated products.  Windows XP is one such instance.  Since Microsoft ended support for XP, most of the software vendors have followed suit and no longer support their products that were XP compatible.  Microsoft as well as all the other vendors have released upgrades and new versions of their products that are compatible with the current versions of Windows, such as 8.1 or whatever.  Windows 7 has at most 2 years more 'life' before it gets dropped, in my opinion. 

So, it's almost a guarantee that your Adobe CS2 will not install under Windows 8, 8.1 or later.  Maybe not even Windows 7.   CS2 was available long before Windows 8 came around, and so there's no means for CS2 to 'communicate' with Windows 8.  This is much like trying to 'fit' a 1962 Ford 390 CI V8 motor into a brand new Ford Focus.  It can't be done, and Ford is not going to go to the effort or expense of inventing a way to do it.   

Date: 04/23/15 20:51
Author: tinytrains

How about just buying a copy of PhotoShop Elements. It is only about $100, and probably does everything you need. Unless you are doing batch processing of photos it works pretty well. I refuse to rent software.

Scott Schifer
Torrance, CA
TinyTrains Website

Date: 04/23/15 21:41

I snooped around and found the CS2 download link and key.  Installed it and uninstalled the Cloud,PS and LR.  I didn't need all of that for what I do.
I'm running Windows 7 Pro.
I also thought about Elements and would have done it if I hadn't found the CS2 link.
Thanks.

Date: 04/26/15 09:26
Author: bioyans

Reportedly, the newest realease of Lightroom (which came out this week) is available as a stand alone program.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0605 seconds