Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Railfan Technology > Having Problems Scanning Negatives vs Slides

Date: 04/30/15 12:35
Having Problems Scanning Negatives vs Slides
Author: krm152

Have just started scanning my negatives. Fortunately, I only have a small volume as compared to my slides to scan. I have a very difficult time, it seems, getting them clean. I use Edwal film cleaner applied with Pec Pads and blow them off with an air duster. Sometimes I have to do this more than once. My production is about 2 slides per hour versus about 12 per hour for slides. This has been very frustrating. Any suggestions?
ALLEN

Date: 04/30/15 13:29
Re: Having Problems Scanning Negatives vs Slides
Author: Frisco1522

Have you checked the scanner glass?  Dust can make you crazy sometimes.  What scanner are you using and what size are the negs?

Date: 04/30/15 14:48
Author: krm152

Clean the scanner glass with a screen cleaner wipe  before each use scanning negatives.  Learned about the glass when I was just getting started scanning slides.
Am scanning 126 negatives. 
Maybe its the fact that I did not give them the care I gave my slides. 

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have you checked the scanner glass?  Dust can
> make you crazy sometimes.  What scanner are you
> using and what size are the negs?

Date: 04/30/15 15:53
Author: rsanchez

Negatives can be a challenge as I'm finding out. I have a Plustek 8200Ai with Vuescan software and have been getting pretty good results. I have the digital ICE on and change the film type (Kodak Gold 100 Gen 2) to match the film being scanned. Matching the color cast of the negative and digital ICE is all I have been doing lately and getting some really good scans. I typically set the scanner software to auto levels and and do very little tweaking with the curves. I also scan as a .dng and use camera RAW to open my scans. I've also just purchased a 126 film holder for my Plustek, there is a guy on Ebay who makes and sells 126,110, Super 8, 616, etc negative holders for a number of scanners.

Date: 05/28/15 05:13
Author: donstrack

rsanchez Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've also just purchased a 126 film holder for my
> Plustek, there is a guy on Ebay who makes and
> sells 126,110, Super 8, 616, etc negative holders
> for a number of scanners.

Thanks for this. I've been trying to develop some sort of fixture to scan a bunch of 110 negatives taken in the early 1980s. This will solve that problem completely. I also have several APS rolls, and several Instamatic (126) rolls, so I bought all three from him. On eBay, I searched for "Plustek scanner film holder" and here is the link:

http://stores.ebay.com/Negative-Solutions

Don Strack 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0399 seconds