Home Open Account Help 252 users online

Railfan Technology > Help with Photoshop

Date: 05/21/15 15:38
Help with Photoshop
Author: srman

Recently I had a power surge that fried my computer. For the past few years I've been using Photoshop 9 and shooting raw and never had any problems.
With my new computer a friend advised me that I might want to upgrade to Photoshop 12. That was totally unfamiliar me so for now I've decided to use what I'm use to being Photoshop 9. My problem is I cannot open my images, it saying that it is the wrong kind of file. I went back a few months to see if I could open
those. Some I could and some I couldn't even if they were taken on the same day. I'm not tech savy but confused. I'm using Window's 7. 

Date: 05/21/15 16:23
Re: Help with Photoshop
Author: ACR_Ted

It is possible that some of your images were corrupted by the power surge that ruined your old computer. Are they .jpg, (raw) or something else?

Hopefully you have a backup of your images - if so, just restore from the backup and they should work.

Ted

Date: 05/21/15 16:56
Author: srman

They are jpeg. Thing of it is, is that even anything new that I've shot won't open either. The images will load but when I click on one to open it says that its the wrong kind of file. 

Date: 05/21/15 17:02
Author: TCnR

As I understand it, the info needed to convert the camera raw file changes with each camera model. When PS 9 was reloaded it may not have the RAW conversion that was used in the past. Suspect you would need to go through the PS tables to find the camera and then load it into the fresh PS 9.

That's my understanding, I haven't had to chase that down yet. I had tried to upload a file into Elements 4 but found I needed to upgrade to a later version. I went to Elements 12 and had to re-learn the menus and make a lot of adjustments, but the files open for my camera so I'm good...enough.

Date: 05/21/15 20:49
Author: tinytrains

It would help to know what OS you are running.  
Can you open the JPEGs with the default photo editor?
How about JPEGs off the web?
Do the files end in .jpg?

Scott

Scott Schifer
Torrance, CA
TinyTrains Website

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0265 seconds