Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Railfan Technology > I think I need a radio- looking for advice

Date: 05/24/15 22:34
I think I need a radio- looking for advice
Author: BoilingMan

If you're following my exploits on other pages, you've noticed I've started using a quadcopter in my photography. 
Here's the problem with this thing: VERY short battery/flight times.  Maybe 6-7 minutes.  I need to accurately predict when trains will show up because the launch saquence is rather lengthy and once off the ground, I can't stay airborne very long. 
So. 
I need a radio.  Nothing fancy, really just enough to know when they're tripping detectors- I can work out the travel times from that.  I know my territory (Donner Pass) quite well.  The phone based systems (radio apps) don't work because I loose signal in too many places.
Any advice?

Thanks
SR Bush
Dutch Flat

Date: 05/24/15 23:01
Re: I think I need a radio- looking for advice
Author: TCnR

Try monitoring the EOT transmissions, they are very predictable. Keep the antenna simple since being on Donner you may pick up stuff in the Valley. They tell you rough proximity regardless of talking detectors, etc. The Radio Link to the DPUs also puts out a strong signal, also very predictable and very unique chirp sound not to be confused with other things that radios can hang up on.

Try a Bearcat for ease of keyboard entries, they sell them at Frys, $80 for example. The more sophisticated HAM radios have goofy keyboard protocols. I have a Yeasu FT60 that handles both road channels and the EOT frequencies, works very well except for the keyboard thing. There are software tools to program the radio frequencies, you have your hands full of drone though.

EOT frequencies are in the back of the Altamont TT, most common are 452.9375 and 457.9375, the DPU's also repeat them at a higher power.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/15 23:13 by TCnR.

Date: 05/24/15 23:24

That's interesting- what exactly are the EOT devices transmitting that tells their location?
I'd always assumed they only reported brake pressure, and maybe the train's ID they were currently assigned to.
SR

Date: 05/25/15 06:52
Author: kgmontreal

The EOT devices won't tell you where they are.  All you will hear is a chirp.  But they have a limited transmission range.  Therefore if you hear one there is a train close-by.

KG

Date: 05/25/15 07:13

All you need is the 'chirp'. No train, no chirp. Chirp means train.

Except Passenger trains often don't have an EOT, so no chirp.

There is a Yahoo Group that will decode the chirp, I'm ok not knowing the details.

Date: 05/25/15 07:20

Okay, that makes more sense- I couldn't imagine them broadcasting much!
Well, just a sampling of amazon etc sort of points me to the Uniden BC125AT-  The price seems reasonable, the recharging choices very flexible, and I like the idea of giving alpha names to things.  Is this an okay choice for RR scanning?  I've no other interest- maybe aircraft.  Couldn't care less about police etc.
Thanks
SR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/15 08:14 by BoilingMan.

Date: 05/25/15 09:42

Looks good for the basics. It's a simple no frills, not much range radio that should work for what you're looking for. I carry one like that in the car, it's worked well on trips where I had to pack tight and not know what to expect.

Consider upgrading the antenna someday, something that says 'gain' and lists both the RR band and the EOT band. I picked one up at Frys for 20 bucks. There are far better radios for reception, but this is just a basic task and is a good back-up radio. Also good for the Weather Band and Cal-Fire.

When you get it running do some practice checkouts to determine range in the your locations. It varies quite a bit but works very well.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/15 09:58 by TCnR.

Date: 05/25/15 09:55

Okay, thanks!
Sounds like it'll be fine. I only need to know when they're just about on top of me, so the EOT trick sounds great.
Traffic on The Hill these days is heavy enough to where any outing will turn up something, so long range is a lesser issue.
Again, thanks!
SR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0525 seconds