Home Open Account Help 367 users online

Railfan Technology > Canon Camera overexposure problem

Date: 06/27/15 13:14
Canon Camera overexposure problem
Author: MilwMike

I have a Canon Powershot Pro 1, bought it new when they came out, took excellent photos until 3 or so week ago.  Now when I press the shutter button down 1/2 way I get the green square for the focus, apeture setting, and shutter speed, continue pressing to take the photo, it should be good right, everything was green, but not so.  The photos turn out either slightly overexposed with horizontal lines(similar to a printer running out of ink) in them or completely overexposed with barely any image.  Turn the camera off and back on again, and presto you get nice photos again.  

Anyone else have an issue like this?  Any tips or suggestions?  Otherwise it may be time to either upgrade or send it back to Canon for repair. 

Thanks
MilwMike

Date: 06/27/15 19:19
Re: Canon Camera overexposure problem
Author: BRAtkinson

The obvious camera shake effects of the image tells me that the shutter speed is way too long.  If you're in Tv or M modes, you need to get the shutter speed properly set.

I didn't look at all the menu options for your camera in the online user manual, but I strongly suspect there is a menu option to reset 'everything' back to factory defaults.  I'm on my 3rd Canon Powershot (presently a G15) and 3rd DSLR (5Diii), and each of them have the 'reset everything' type of options.  I'm guessing you've made some setting that is causing the overexposure.  Then shoot on full Auto mode for a while and see if the problem recurs.  Sometimes, removing the battery can fix things as well.  If you're not feint of heart and there's an updated firmware for the camera, that may be the fix as well.  Failing all that, send it in to Canon.  If it's still under warranty, they'll fix it free.  If not, once they look at it, they'll advise you of the cost to repair.  For what it's worth, there used to be a Canon repair facility just a little south of O'Hare airport in Chicago.  I took a lens there 35 years ago and they fixed it on the spot. 

One of the things I both like and hate about the G15 is the Exposure Compensation wheel placement.  More than a couple of times I've inadvertently moved it one way or another and the resultant images showed it.  When using my G15, I most often have the camera in Tv mode to freeze motion and then use the EC to adjust the exposure a bit one way or the other as needed.  Perhaps something similar is your problem. 

Date: 06/28/15 15:55

Well even in Auto taking pictures of stationary objects I get the same results. Today I played around with it a bit more, I noticed that when I did use the built in zoom lens to any degree, and either in the Auto, Tv or Av settings the photos would become overexposed, as the camera changed the settings.  If I didn't use the zoom lens the photos turned out fine.   

MilwMike

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/15 16:02 by MilwMike.

Date: 06/29/15 10:49

I called Canon today, they will not service my camera, too old.  But they did walk me through a reset of the camera.  So far that has done the trick.

MilwMike

Date: 06/29/15 14:36
Author: BRAtkinson

MilwMike Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I called Canon today, they will not service my
> camera, too old.  But they did walk me through a
> reset of the camera.  So far that has done the
> trick.
>
>
> MilwMike
Just like your PC and mainframes in prior years, your camera needs a complete reboot every now and then to get it back to 'normal'. Glad to see you found a zero-cost solution.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0443 seconds