Home Open Account Help 239 users online

Railfan Technology > Don't lie, have you ever done this?

Date: 06/29/15 14:33
Don't lie, have you ever done this?
Author: Frisco1522

Have you ever been fixing an old image in Photoshop and tried to clone out what ended up being a spot on the screen?   I can't be the only one.

Date: 06/29/15 14:36
Re: Don't lie, have you ever done this?
Author: BRAtkinson

I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me.

Date: 06/29/15 16:09
Author: hoggerdoug

Yes, I tried and tried to clean a "spot" off a slide, eventually I discovered that it was actually a flag far in the background.  Doug

Date: 06/29/15 16:56
Author: chessie-2117

I make most of my livliehood using AutoCAD, and can't tell you how long I've spent "erasing" an object on the drawing, 
only to find out it's a spec of dust on the screen.  Drives me nuts.  And, yes, I've also spent time in Photoshop doing the
smae thing.  Frustrating, to say the least.

J Regan

Date: 06/29/15 19:53

Back in my darkroom days, one time I had a really hard negative to print with a lot of dodging and burning.  I went through the whole thing and when the timer turned the enlarger off, I took the paper out of the easel.  Or let's say I went to take it out, but I had never put it in to begin with.   For some reason I looked around like I was afraid someone saw me.
Felt like an idiot.

Date: 06/29/15 20:56
Author: wcamp1472

/images/top-logo.gifWelcome BackHi, wcamp1472
  •  

•  

•  
  •  
Railfan TechnologyPreview: This is how your message will appear.Re: Don't lie, have you ever done this?Posted by: wcamp1472Date: 06/29/15 23:50 Tales out of school..... 

Back in '68, when HICO brought NKP 759 home to Conneaut we hired locals to work on the restoration. 
Two very significant workers were Boikrpermaker, Joe Karal and mechanic, Doyle McCormack. 

Doyle, at that time , was a good photographer and use a large format, rectangular negative 120 film. 
The camera had interchangeable backs --- the backs held the roll film, but had a removable slide that served as a light dam. 

After applying a fresh 'back" to the body, you removed the slide to allow the film to be exposed by the shutter. 

Late in the restoration, with the first fire-ups, Doyle would grab the camera, and take many great pics from many locations--- like from the roundhouse roof, towers and such. 

Every once in a while, the lighting was perfect, the pose was just right and the action was brining the 759 where it was gonna be just perfect..... Doyle would snap the shot. 

A couple of seconds later --- and the air was suddenly filled with blood curdling screams from Doyle!!!!! 
He would have forgotten to take the slide out from the cartridge!!!  Thus missing several historic shots. 

This happened often enough,...... when suddenly we'd hear Doyle screaming like a Banshee from across the field, off the roof or in the roundhouse... 
"What happened?... ".  folks would ask. 

We'd laugh and say he did it AGAIN!!! 

Doyle remarked several times that if there was a way to 'develop'  that removable slide, there were some beautiful pictures exposed on it. 

Doyle did a fine job, with that large format camera, of documenting the 759's rebirth. 
I have several of his prints from thiose Halcyon Days, and treasure them deeply. 

Wes. C. 
  Your Name: wcamp1472Subject: 

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/15 13:03 by wcamp1472.

Date: 06/29/15 21:29
Author: FrensicPic

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Have you ever been fixing an old image in
> Photoshop and tried to clone out what ended up
> being a spot on the screen?   I can't be the
> only one.
Guilty!
John

Date: 06/30/15 04:44
Author: jkh2cpu

I've come close, but I like to move the shot around
on the screen to make sure it's really on the photo
and not on my screen... In the digi camera age, it's
more likely dust on the sensor that I'll deal with, but
that sensor dust can look like crap on the monitor, so
I check first ;-)

John.

Date: 06/30/15 08:02

Joe Collias told me about a friend and him chased a PRR M1a for twenty five miles to get ahead of it and get a shot.  Found a good spot, set up and got the shot of a lifetime and that's when Joe noticed he hadn't pulled the slide off the film holder on his Speed Graphic.   His friend was afraid to get back in the car, he thought Joe had gone insane.  I can just picture it.  
I spent a day chasing and shot a roll of 35mm, all the way up to the 40th exposure.   Yep, didn't feed the film.   One time I got to the end of the roll mid pacing and in a hurry to change film opened the back.   I doubt there are many dumb things I haven't done.

Date: 06/30/15 10:46
Author: biff

I can truthfully say I have never tried to clone out anything using Photoshop. All that fancy stuff is to complex for me.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/30/15 11:21
Author: prr4828

For the flat panel monitor crowd: ever tried to erase a stuck pixel?

* JB *

Date: 06/30/15 18:24
Author: jkh2cpu

prr4828 Wrote:
> For the flat panel monitor crowd: ever tried to
> erase a stuck pixel?
>
> * JB *

LOL!

We're all human.

John.

Date: 07/01/15 15:25
Author: krm152

Yesterday, I was editing a depot photo scanned from a negative. It took a considerable amount of time. I use Microsoft Photo Editor. The very last thing I did was to remove what I thought was a discoloration.  After viiewing another photo of the depot, I realized that the "discoloration" I had removed was a light.  Fortunately, I was able, at least, to recover the unedited scan.
ALLEN  

Date: 07/01/15 19:37
Author: ssw

NO..... I've never done anything you mention. Not multiple times...er... I mean not ever.  :)

Date: 07/04/15 19:24
Author: tq-07fan

prr4828 Wrote:
> For the flat panel monitor crowd: ever tried to
> erase a stuck pixel?
>
> * JB *

I've tried try to clean the stuck pixel off the screen first...

Jim

Date: 07/23/15 18:18
Author: SP4360

I refuse to use Photoshop for anything, if something is in the image, then it must have been there when I took the shot.

Date: 08/25/15 17:53
Author: LV95032

Yes - sure all the dust on your slide was there when you took the photo - sure.............

SP4360 Wrote:
> I refuse to use Photoshop for anything, if
> something is in the image, then it must have been
> there when I took the shot.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0491 seconds