Home Open Account Help 306 users online

Railfan Technology > Best webpage size to use for building websites

Date: 07/06/15 10:00
Best webpage size to use for building websites
Author: DocJohn

I have started building a website for my railroad pictures and related information.  I am using WebEasy Professional version 10.2.2 (recommended by company that is hosting my website).  What is the best page size to use?  Software vendor recommends 1024 X 768.  However, that does not give much room for text and/or pictures.  A page size of 1024 X 4096 seems more appropriate and will work with the WebEasy software.  Any concerns about a page szie of 1024 X 4096?

Thank you,

John

Date: 07/06/15 17:15
Re: Best webpage size to use for building websites
Author: norm1153

They are probably thinking about access via smartphones, tablets, etc.  Lowest common denominator type of thinking.  Accessing TO at home is at 1920x1084, regular HiDef.  Accessing on my smartphone is still no problem, as I just expand the page view with my fingers.  Maybe others don't take that step.  But even your software's suggested page size will still look rather small on smartphones and even smaller tablets.  So I figure, why not just go for broke, so you have room to design a good web page.   Just my ..02.   There are other options where the server determines what kind of browser it is connecting to, and does some dynamic stuff, plus another option of buying dedicated web software that takes existing full size web pages and creates pages better viewable on such smartphones.  But they're kind of expensive, and may have a different URL to access them by (web address, usually something like www.mysite.com/smart\phone.html or the similar.

I wouldn't go so far as that 4096 dimension, because that will necessitate a lot of hand scrolling by the viewer on virtually any screen today.  Remember that even Ultra 4K is 3840x2160.  Also make sure you are not getting your horizontal and vertical dimensions reversed. 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/15 17:19 by norm1153.

Date: 07/09/15 04:19
Re: Best webpage size to use for building websites
Author: chico

Doc, you should talk to fellow to'er and web builder Ryan Wilkerson. 

He's written the code for two sites I oversee.

heartlandRails.com

and 

GodfatherRails.com. 

Just add add water and stir...

good of luck building your brand 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0344 seconds