Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Railfan Technology > Problem posting vertical photos on Trainorders

Date: 07/21/15 11:25
Problem posting vertical photos on Trainorders
Author: PERichardson

Yesterday I posteda  a photo that is vertical format and is vertical in my pictures folder.   But when  attached by Trainorders it was horizontal.  A kind person rotated the photo in my post for me (by replying to my post)  but I would like to know how that is done and also what gives with TO.  I've been posting for about 10 years and verticals have always posted  vertical, until now.  Just tried it again and same problem.  Thanks for any help.

Date: 07/21/15 11:48
Re: Problem posting vertical photos on Trainorders
Author: RyanWilkerson

vertical test. It was resized to 1000px wide.

Ryan Wilkerson
Fair Oaks, CA

Date: 07/21/15 13:24

Which means what?  Nothing's changed at my end.....

Date: 07/21/15 14:29
Author: RustyRayls

What program are you using for post-processing and sizing your photo for posting to the web? I don't have any problems with vertical shot using the "save for web" tool in Photoshop or Photoshop elements.

Old Bob out in Lost Wages 

Date: 07/21/15 20:58
Author: clem

There are (at least) two ways to indicate that a JPEG is vertical:

1. JPEGs have "rows" and "columns." If there are more rows than columns, the picture is vertical.
2. JPEGs can have an "EXIF Orientation" tag. If a picture has more columns than rows (which is normally horizontal) but the tag says that rows start at the left or right edge (rather than at the top or the bottom), then the picture is vertical.

Whenever you have two ways to say the same thing, it's possible that one will work and the other won't: "Works for me, don't know what's going wrong for you."

Date: 07/22/15 05:32

Thanks for all your help.  Think I'll stick to posting slides instead of the very few digitals I shoot now and then, at least until I get Photoshop.  Thanks again.

Date: 07/26/15 06:13
Author: TCnR

TO does a check to see if the image being posted is below a certain files size, if too large TO software will change the dimension of the file and then post it. We've noticed if the file is below this criteria the photo is displayed with better resolution, possibly due to avoiding the compression issues of JPEGs, or something similar.

Perhaps if the vertical photo file size is less than this threshold the TO software will not change the file, try posting the photo with less than 1000 pixels as the largest dimension. This is pretty obvious using the Photoshop 'save for web' function (I may have the wording wrong), Not sure how that shows up in other software.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0425 seconds