Home Open Account Help 235 users online

Railfan Technology > Help Ordering cigarette light chord for old scanner

Date: 08/05/15 07:13
Help Ordering cigarette light chord for old scanner
Author: twropr

I have a Uniden 560XLT that has a pin needing a female DC chord for a cigarette lighter power.  Radio Shack, from whom I had purchased the old chord, is out of business where I live and Uniden's parts line no longer has the 560XLT on file.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Andy
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 08/05/15 07:25
Re: Help Ordering cigarette light chord for old scanner
Author: GN_X838

I have found parts on Amazon. I have and old Uniden BC200 XLT, found a new battery and charger there.
.........Swede.......Albany,Or.

Date: 08/05/15 07:27
Re: Help Ordering cigarette light chord for old scanner
Author: chitownjeff

Andy, I know the Shack has closed many of its store's but they still have a on line presence, check their web site they may still be carrying the part you desire and you can order it, I know this doesn't help if you need it right away.
If they don't carry what you need try Fry's or DigiKey, both do mail order and have web sites to order from, Fry has some stores around the US you would have to check their site to see if any are near you.

Jeff

Date: 08/05/15 14:52
Re: Help ordering cigarette lighter cord for old scanner.
Author: K3HX

Find a Radio Shack retailer still open in your area.  Not all the stores closed.
.....I noted 4 in a short internet search in the JAX area.
.....Bring the scanner with you to make sure you get the proper plug.
.....Once you have determined the plug fits properly, check the fuse in the
.....housing for the cigar lighter plug.  It should be no more than 2 amps.
.....The fuse will have the rating stamped about the circumference of the
.....metal contact on one end.  "3AG" is the usual type, look for "2A" in addition
.....to the type indicator. You might also see "GMA" as a type.  Many times
.....these cords have 10 amp fuses ("10A") which is too much.  You can buy
.....a 2 amp fuse to fit the cigar lighter plug from the Radio Shack retailer.

If you are unable to locate a store, send me a PM and as long as you possess
"model railroader" electrical and soldering skills, you can make one.

Be Well,

Tim Colbert  K3HX

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/15 15:26 by K3HX.

Date: 08/05/15 22:13
Author: wa4umr

I agree with Tim.  Radio shacks are not on every corner like Starbucks but you can still find them.  It's a real plus to be able to walk into a store with the scanner and get the plug that fits your scanner.  There are a few sizes, some of them pretty close in size to others.  They may be able to order a completed assembly.  If not, take Tim up on his offer.  Two wires in the cig lighter plug (screw connections in the one I got a few months ago), two in the plug for the radio (these are solder connections), and the "in line" fuse holder with two wires.  I built one for one of my radios and put a 12 VDC regulator in line just for extra protection but it's not necessary.  A little electrical tape and you're in business.  You can use some shrink tubing if you want to get fancy and make a little bit better job out of it.  It only takes minimum soldering skills.

John

Date: 08/06/15 18:54
Author: TCnR

Amazing number of replacement parts for scanners on Amazon using the full model number. Bought some batteries and a similar lighter plug and radio plug/jack a few years ago.

E-Bay is also known for replacement parts using the full manufacturer name and model number. Not so sure the parts are new or not damaged, condition is often well described but it's something to look for.

Making your own is very simple, suggest buying a few extra parts to make sure you get what you need with minimal hassle.

Date: 08/09/15 09:32
Author: sphogger

I ended up with quite a collection of old wall warts and DC adapters for several generations of cell phones.  Made a couple radio adapters using old cell phone cigarette lighter adapters.  Some of those cords used fairly high quality components including rubberized coiled cords.  The trick is to find the right plug and making sure the polarity is correct.  Takes a little skill with a soldering iron too.

sphogger  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0523 seconds