Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Railfan Technology > New 4K monitor

Date: 09/02/15 19:33
New 4K monitor
Author: fbe

Sunday Frys in Wilsonville (Portland) had a one day special on a Dell UP2424Q monitor with 4K resolution.  Turns out to be the store demo but it had a $615 price and had been on the shelf for about 2 months.  It was hooked up to a small thick paperback size computer so it was mostly dark all day and turned off each night.  I did need a new video card for the high resolution which came in at $150.

I got it all hooked up today with the drivers for the nvidea geoforce gtx 750 card installed and all i can say is the images on the screen from the​ 36 mpix resolution D800E are just flat out unbelievable. resolution is 3840x2160 or about 4x the 1080 monitors.  I still don't get 100% of the camera pixels (7360x4912) but it is getting closer.  It has a 99.3% AdobeRGB color match which is impressive. Color bit depth is only 8
Instead of my preferred 14.

Now the prices of the 4K displays are coming down they are a good option for photographers who are using cameras with 24 mpix or higher.​ 

Oh yeah, TO.com pages are pretty​ impressive, photobob's images really stand out as well. The page dsplays over 23" wide.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/15 16:38 by fbe.

Date: 09/03/15 08:51
Re: New 4K monitor
Author: skyview

I must agree, I purchased a 4K monitor 3 or 4 months ago and have been wowed by the performance.  Incredably sharp and crisp, images great.  Mine is the slower refresh account using HDMI cables so not good on games, but I dont use the computer for that.

Date: 09/03/15 13:43

My monitor came with a display port cable which allows the higher refresh rate. The video card has the same connection as an option so I used that cable and had to use the monitor screen menus to change some settings to get the monitor to recognize that cable.

I am not a gamer so I don't need the higher speed but that was the only way to use the $20 cable.

Now it is time to set up the USB 3 hub on the monitor and try the built in card reader.

Posted from windows phone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/15 16:34 by fbe.

Date: 09/03/15 17:28
Author: skyview

Problem at my end is with the video card, doesnt have a display port output... so I can replace card and power supply to fix, but as of now havent spent the time, effort or money.

Thus, if you ARE considering a 4K monitor, be certain your video card has a display port output!!!!!

Date: 09/03/15 18:38

Some older cards might work with a driver upgrade to allow a higher resolution display setting.

I had a thumb drive in my pocket with a few full resolution camera images in TIFF format when I got to Frys so I was able to display my photos before I decided on the purchase.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/15 16:36 by fbe.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0504 seconds