Home Open Account Help 304 users online

Railfan Technology > Wireless ink jet printer replacement suggestions

Date: 09/20/15 11:47
Wireless ink jet printer replacement suggestions
Author: OCVarnes

Our ancient Epson ink jet printer has ceased functioning.

We would like to replace it with a wireless four-in-one ink jet printer.

With the exception of one ancient PC (which will be retired soon), everything else we have is an Apple product.

Any recommendations for a replacement?

OCV

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/15 11:48 by CharlesVarnes.

Date: 09/20/15 13:33
Re: Wireless ink jet printer replacement suggestions
Author: jkh2cpu

Get what you want. I like HP, which seems to be fairly universal in
application. I use it with linux.

John.

Date: 09/20/15 14:01
Author: Normanroger

HP photosmart.    Glossies.  Copies.  Fax.   Print.  Wireless if you want.

Date: 09/20/15 14:35
Author: trainjunkie

Slightly different take on this. I had four Epson inkjet printers clog up beyond economical repair in less than a 2 year period (one a Stylus Photo series, the rest WorkForce all-in-one series). Then I got a HP Envy such-and-such (can't recall the model) and it drove me nuts with its 18 drop cartridge capacity. The constant and relentless on-screen nags from my needy printer requesting more ink made me crazy. It reminded me of that annoying carnivorous plant in the movie Little Shop of Horrors that continuously harrassed Seymour (played by Rick Moranis) with the line, "Feed me Seymour!"

I also found most of the bundled software that comes with inkjets to not be well designed for Macs. It reminded me of ported Windows software with all the technical jargon, ugly dialog boxes, and constant nagging as though every user is an idiot that needs constant reminding of everything.

So I dumped them all and went color laser, a HP LaserJet Pro 200 color laser, which is wireless. Now, this isn't an all-in-one, although they are available. The up-front cost is higher than inkjet, but the cost of consumables is significantly less over the long term. It's not as good at printing color photos, but not bad. It's fast and rarely complains, and it will never clog up. The software is less intrustive and better integrated with the printing software in the Mac OS.

If you're a heavy user, or printing high quality photos, an inkjet may be the way to go. The more you use an inkjet, the less likely they will clog. But for occasional use, the laser doesn't know the difference. I can let it sit dormant for months, fire it up, and it works perfectly. It's a much less frustrating world for me. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Date: 09/20/15 14:40
Author: aronco

Mike:

I am sending your post over to my multi-lingual son for translation.  I will be able to respond when he translates it.  I guess I am from a generation long past.

Norm

Norman Orfall
Helendale, CA
TIOGA PASS, a private railcar

Date: 09/20/15 15:25
Author: trainjunkie

Hahaha...I'm not far behind you Norm. The only reason I have any tech knowledge at all is because I got into computers and the digital world relatively early, in the 80s. But some punk smart-a$$ kid told me the other day that he was suprised I know how to use a computer at all. I felt like kicking him in the teeth.

Date: 09/21/15 19:24
Author: WrongMain

Add another HP fan.  My PhotoSmart came with my Apple Pro Mac-Book four years ago and it has been flawless.  It is wireless, scans, prints, copies, and does photo printing, too.

Date: 09/22/15 18:41
Author: ChrisCampi

I run an Epson with my Mac, IPad and IPhone. It's works well enough with AirPrint. Inkjet printers are basically given away to sell ink. Lasers are ment for much heavier duty then most home users will ever need and cost per copy is very high. Not that ink is cheap either...but unless your running hundreds of prints a day, inkjet is most likely better for you. It breaks, you get a new one.

Chris

Date: 09/22/15 19:39
Author: MirandaDepot

If a buyer is looking for value (meaning best performance for the money) rather than shopping for lowest price or shopping for the highest capability, the widely available Epson Workforce WF-3640 at about $120 could be a good choice. HP may have a comparable product, but I gave up on HP when they started selling many similar products with artificially fine distinctions, different model numbers, and incompatible ink cartridges, so I can't make an HP product recommendation. 

Having the the excellent driverless Apple AirPrint capability would be a plus, even if you do not have any Apple products at this time.

Epson offers the opportunity to give you printer an email address, and it will cleverly print the email attachments. What HP is offering for network services and device compatibility, I do not know.  

Date: 09/24/15 21:47
Author: up833

HP 7515..wireless for all my needs..scans and prints and copies and efax. Uses  HP 564 ink which I get refilled at Costco.
Roger Beckett

Date: 09/28/15 08:08
Author: OCVarnes

Thanks to all for your help.

We have been traveling so my Trainorders access has been limited, thus the delayed thanks.

OCV

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0453 seconds