Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Railfan Technology > Bent pin in CF card reader - fixable?

Date: 10/14/15 09:03
Bent pin in CF card reader - fixable?
Author: pennsy3750

Took the CF card outof the camera last night to download a couple images, and found the computer wouldn't recognize the card (the card reader is built into the PC).  I took a look with a flashlight, and found the card reader has a couple bent pins.  Is this fixable, or do I need to resign myself to buying an external card reader?  The computer is only 2-3 years old so I'd like to think I can fix it, but I obviously don't want to just blindly stick a screwdriver or Xacto knife in there to try and bend the pins back.

Thakns in advance.

Date: 10/14/15 10:00
Re: Bent pin in CF card reader - fixable?
Author: jkh2cpu

I'd try to bend it back with a really small screwdriver. If that fails,
get an external card reader.

HTH.

John.

Date: 10/14/15 10:05
Author: grahamline

Turn the computer off before you try to fix it, or use a thinned-down Popsicle stick to probe. You might achieve a short-term fix. Dynex and VanTec make reliable plug-in readers for around $10 or so.

Date: 10/14/15 19:29
Author: MirandaDepot

I feel so much better when I read about a problem I have experienced (or caused....)  I straightened the bent pin but the long term solution was to replace the card reader assembly. These are inexpensive and very easy to replace, since the cable plugs into a USB port on the motherboard. 

An alternative solution if you don't want to replace parts is an external card reader. A geeky solution would be a USB 3 implementation. Your choice, and all solutions can work satisfactorily. 

Thanks for asking about your problem. I feel better. 

Date: 10/14/15 19:41
Author: BRAtkinson

The reality of trying to straighten the pins in your CF card reader is that success is very difficult and is not likely to be long lasting.  About a year ago, I bent the pins on my card reader and after 15 minutes with an X-Acto knife, bright LED flashlight, and a magnifying glass, I gave up and ordered a new one from Amazon.com.  I also bought an external USB3 card reader as well (USB3 works perfectly well with USB2 and even USB(1) connections) to have as a 'backup' in case the problem happens again. 

Part of the problem trying to straighten the pins on the CF reader is that unless you completely unplug all cables and cords to your computer and put it on your desk top (if a tower), one is forced to be on their hands and knees trying to do a job that requires a very steady hand.  I used to build, upgrade, and repair computers and straighting pins on a computer processor with 300+ pins is easier than straightening the pins on a CF reader.  I bought a number of used processors through the years, and getting bent pins is the norm.  The advantage straightening processor pins is that they can be visually lined up in 4 different directions to verify its straight (they line up diagonally as well as horizontal and vertical).  And once the processor drops into its socket, it will never be removed except to be replaced for an upgrade.  Not so with a CF reader.  Depending on how often you are taking pictures,  it could easily become a daily insertion/removal action.  Any pin 'almost' straight will soon become bent, and you're back to square one again.

Date: 10/15/15 18:39
Author: robj

I haven't take a card out of the camera to read in years much less for a few images.  I bent a pin years ago and connect camera to computer directly ever since.
But even if that is not preferred not sure of the angst.

Bob Jordan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0341 seconds