Home Open Account Help 161 users online

Railfan Technology > digital slide shows

Date: 01/03/16 15:13
digital slide shows
Author: OregonOldGuy

I went digital about 6 years ago so this is the first time I am thinking about putting on a shrot presentation at the monthly +/- get together.  I plan on using a flash drive.  But I don't think raw images will work. Am I right and what format, tif, or jpg is better?  My program can change it to two differetn tifs and two jpg.  I don't understand the differences and whihc is better.  Input appreciated.

Rob

Date: 01/03/16 18:27
Re: digital slide shows
Author: fbe

PhotoShop CS Bridge has a basic slideshow which will read raw files. The host's laptop may not be set up with that program though.

TIFF images are large and slow. Best choice is high resolution jpegs sized for the projector resolution.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/03/16 20:18
Author: wa4umr

I would suggest the JPG format.  It's pretty much universal if you are going between systems or computers.  I know someone will probably shoot me down for this comment but you don't need a 10 megabit file for every picture either.  Unless you are displaying on a 16x10 screen and someone is setting 3 feet from it, no one is going to notice the pixels.  I ve seen a 16x20" print taken with a 3 mp camera and it looked great, unless you got about 10" from it.  The thing is, you don't look at a print that size from that distance.  You look at it from 3 feet or more.  Besides that, a high pixel count would probably exceed the resolution of the projector.  I have no idea what the capabilities are on the computer you will be using but smaller files load faster.  There are some really nice photos on Trainorders and those are 500KB or less.  They get soft if you blow them up to 300% or more but looking at them on your screen, they look pretty good.

John

Date: 01/03/16 22:54
Author: nomosantafe

OregonOldGuy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I went digital about 6 years ago so this is the
> first time I am thinking about putting on a shrot
> presentation at the monthly +/- get together.  I
> plan on using a flash drive.  But I don't think
> raw images will work. Am I right and what format,
> tif, or jpg is better?  My program can change it
> to two differetn tifs and two jpg.  I don't
> understand the differences and whihc is better.
>  Input appreciated.
>
> Rob

I use ProShow Gold for my slide shows.

I process my photos in Photoshop (Photoshop Elements will do the job) and size the pictures at 4000x3000 pixels at 300 pixels resolution.

Use 300 pixel resolution even if you can't use the 4000x3000 size pictures.  Most digital projectors have a resolution less than 1920x1440 so size the photo at least this size.
I'm not a tech savvy guy, but this is what I have been told to do and it works for me. 

Since going Digital in 2006, I have presented twice at Winterail, once at Summerail, and 5 times at AutumnLeaf.  These shows have large screens and high resolution projectors and I have been quite satisfied with the photo quality.  This is what works for me.

Nomosantafe
Portland, Oregon
"Pacific Wonderland" 

Date: 01/04/16 04:53
Author: lilwes

I use .jpg's right out of my D610. I just put them on a flash drive and go. I do rename the files in the order I want to show them. 01, 02, 03 etc. You can put the info if you like behind the numbering. I can get more than an hour's worth on images on an 8mb drive @ 4-5 mb per image. It is very easy to carry 200 or more image's in your pocket. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.
later...Wes

Wes Chiles
Topeka, KS

Date: 01/04/16 07:37
Author: robj

Jpg is compressed, Tiff is not.  Jpg is used for displays on Internet and for slide show, TIFFs are used for archiving where quality is a concern.

PPI has no relevance for these types of displays, what you are concerned with is the number of pixels.  Sometimes the venue(club etc) will provide guidance depending on the projector.  The following provides some guidance.  Most club and home units esp older will tend to be on the smaller side.
http://www.projectorpeople.com/resources/projector-resolution.asp

As they note, there is no reason to make the file larger than the fixed resolution as the projector will simply throw out the extra pixels, ie downsize the file and it is better to do that in your own program.

So basically you open your raw file, best is to downsize manually but if you want to do a save as and let the program do it that would be OK and then save at a high quality numbering your files saved in the order you wish to present.  Save as JPG.

Bob

Date: 01/04/16 07:39
Author: robj

robj Wrote:
> Jpg is compressed, Tiff is not.  Jpg is used for
> displays on Internet and for slide show, TIFFs are
> used for archiving where quality is a concern.
>
> PPI has no relevance for these types of displays,
> what you are concerned with is the number of
> pixels.  Sometimes the venue(club etc) will
> provide guidance depending on the projector.  The
> following provides some guidance.  Most club and
> home units esp older will tend to be on the
> smaller side.
> http://www.projectorpeople.com/resources/projector
> -resolution.asp
>
> As they note, there is no reason to make the file
> larger than the fixed resolution as the projector
> will simply throw out the extra pixels, ie
> downsize the file and it is better to do that in
> your own program.
>
> So basically you open your raw file, best is to
> downsize manually but if you want to do a save as
> and let the program do it that would be OK and
> then save at a high quality numbering your files
> saved in the order you wish to present.  Save as
> JPG.
>
> Bob

As an aside, it would be good to do some editing unless everything you shoot is good to go.
>
>
>
>  

Date: 01/04/16 11:39
Author: nomosantafe

Just some additional points I did not mention in earlier post.

Shoot RAW and JPEG if your camera will do both. Process the RAW into TIFF files for permanent storage.  Use JPEG to share on the internet.

Scan slides at highest resolutiom (I scan at 5400 pixels and save at 4000 pixels) and save as TIFF.  Make edits from TIFF and save as an additional file, leaving the original TIFF unaltered for archiving..

Edit the TIFF with Photoshop, Photoshop Elements,Lightroom, or whatever editing program you use.

Save at minimum resolution for projector that will be used (I use 4000x3000 as my default) and save as a JPEG.

Nomo

Date: 01/04/16 12:54
Author: trainjunkie

robj Wrote:
> Jpg is compressed, Tiff is not.  Jpg is used for
> displays on Internet and for slide show, TIFFs are
> used for archiving where quality is a concern.

Not to derail this thread but point of clarification here. TIFFs can be compressed, and most are, but when they are, it is a lossless compression algorythm known as LZW (Lempel–Ziv–Welch).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lempel%E2%80%93Ziv%E2%80%93Welch

JPEGs are compressed by a lossy compression algorythm based on DCT, meaning the data that is considered extraneous by the algorythm is purged from the file and lost forever.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0525 seconds