Home Open Account Help 386 users online

Railfan Technology > Don't use your camera drone anywhere near the nation's capital...

Date: 01/07/16 17:36
Don't use your camera drone anywhere near the nation's capital...
Author: Ray_Murphy

The FAA has extended the drone/model airplane no-fly zone to a 30-mile radius around Washington DC:

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-faa-shut-down-every-drone-club-within-30-miles-of-washington-dc

Date: 01/08/16 09:32
Re: Don't use your camera drone anywhere near the nation's capita
Author: OregonOldGuy

And there will drone owners that will fly in the face of the law just for the thrill of eluding the consequences.

Biggest thing I have noticed is the lack of composition in these works.  Just because one can fly 400 feet up, doesn't mean there isn't a better angle at 200.  For the most part, it's a toy and not a serious tool.  We have seen a few great drone photos on TO, but to me, many are just high shots that only say that I can get higher than you!

Just my 2 cents worth, and I owe you change!

Rob

Date: 01/08/16 13:32
Author: NormSchultze

The FAA has an iphone and android app that shows restricted areas, including TFRs. No excuses.

Date: 01/15/16 09:37
Author: SP4360

There will always be excuses because some feel laws and regulations don't apply to them. Same with photography, some areas are off limits but there are those few that will whine, cry, snivel, whatever you want to call it, will do what they want anyway.

Posted from Android

Date: 02/13/16 04:21
Author: prr4828

With the Federal crackdown on drones inside the Beltway, plus the national registration requirement, one wonders if the drone-friendly will organize a civil protest in the form of a million drone fly in over the Washington Mall? :-)

With the perfected military skill set to fire missles from a Predator could be adapted to something like a 1/3 scale P-51D Mustang rigged to fire BB's or the like as a symetrical response to drones igorning No Fly Zones?

Lastly, if the ability was developed for the Feds to track drones ... what happens when an operator turns on a drone for an systems check in a hotel room that happens to be 10 or 20 floors up with a panoramic view of downtown "No Fly Zone"? He's not flying, yet the system would detect an airborne "threat" inside the perimeter. Hmm ... sounds like a scene for the next "Jason Bourne" movie.

* JB *

Date: 02/13/16 20:17
Author: hoydie17

In the DC area you can fly a drone between 15 and 30 miles (the outer ring of the SFRZ), provided:

- you don't fly over 400 feet high
- you only fly in clear conditions
- you only fly your aircraft within line of sight
- if operating within 5 miles of a heliport or airport, you must contact the control center for that facility and advise them of your intended operating area

Local ordinances and restrictions on drone use may still apply. For example, Fairfax County prohibits drone use in its public parks.

Posted from iPhone

Sean Hoyden
Broad Run, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/16 20:18 by NSPW.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0453 seconds