Home Open Account Help 245 users online

Railfan Technology > Apple OS X won't load my photo editing software

Date: 01/29/16 21:10
Apple OS X won't load my photo editing software
Author: refarkas

On 1/27/2016, I purchased a new iMac with OS X El Capitan operating system and Retina display. It won't load either Adobe Photoshop 11 or Lightroom 5 discs. I need PE 11 because of its "Save to web" feature that I may use thirty or forty times a week. Photoshop CC doesn't have it, and their way of resizing images is much more inconvenient to use so that often. As I had explained to my salesperson I used both and was not told they wouldn't work, I can see nothing to do but return the computer. 
Am I right in returning it?
Bob

Date: 01/29/16 23:45
Re: Apple OS X won't load my photo editing software
Author: jbwest

I would do a bit more checking into what the problem might be.  My laptop with El Cap runs Elements 10 with no problem.  And I would note that the two versions of full Photoshop I have used (CS2 and 5) both had "save to web" options. So this all sounds a bit strange, although my situation is not exactly the same as yours.  Perhaps the disc installation is an issue, since most apps are downloaded now.  Unless you are looking for a reason to get rid of the iMac, I'd dig a bit further.

JBWX

Date: 01/30/16 06:32
Author: jkh2cpu

And not being a Mac user, I'd also second that,
especially if someone has it working for them.

Good Luck and Best Wishes on your computer
conquest :-) Remember, if we invented them,
we can beat them. It's our game, after all.

John.

Date: 01/30/16 06:37
Author: trainjunkie

I agree. Needs further investigation. I suggest posting your question on the Apple support community forum for El Capitan. 

https://discussions.apple.com/community/mac_os/os_x_el_capitan

Before you post though, search through the archives there to see if someone else may have had a similar problem.

Finally, have you been able to install other applications from discs? Is it just these two giving you problems? Have you ruled out a defective disc drive (a SuperDrive I presume)?

Date: 01/30/16 06:44

Thanks for all the help. These are my first few days with an Apple computer, and I have a LOT to learn about it. I changed to Adobe CC with the latest versions of Photoshop and Lightroom. Everything is working so far.
Bob

Date: 01/30/16 09:35
Hang in there

I made the change from PC to Mac about fifteen years ago.  Yeah, a few things are different and there is a bit of initial frustration, like anything new.  But I ran PC and Mac side by side (business on one, photos on the other) for several years and basically found them more similar than different.  So the transition should be pretty quick.  Hang in there.  The two things about Mac that I really like relative to PC is the Mac hardware tends to last foreover, and the user interface has stayed about the same over the 15 years I have been using Macs.  Probably my biggest frustration is since the hardware lasts so long you end up having to replace a perfectly good computer because the software has made it obsolete.  The 15 year old G4 Mac Pro I started with was till working perfectly when I took it to the recycler recently.  But I'm still using the original keyboard and mouse with a newer Mac Mini.

JBWX

Date: 01/30/16 11:59
Re: Hang in there
Author: typebangin

For as long as I can remember, Adobe software was sold as either for WINDOWS or MAC (not both).  I'm not sure if this is your problem, but it certainly could be.  Could you be trying to install Windows software on an Apple computer?

-James
http://www.steamtrainvideos.com

Date: 01/30/16 14:27
Re: Hang in there
Author: trainjunkie

Wow James, good call, I never even considered that. I assumed the OP had software for a Mac OS but you are right, installer discs usually have either Mac or Windows versions, not both. A Windows installer would never work on OS X, and vise versa.

Date: 01/30/16 16:56

Thanks for all the comments and help. I actually had a MAC disc and it didn't load. Any way, I believe I have started a great adventure.
Bob

Date: 02/01/16 10:44
Author: E111

refarkas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I need PE 11 because of its "Save to web"
> feature that I may use thirty or forty times a
> week. Photoshop CC doesn't have it, and their way
> of resizing images is much more inconvenient to
> use so that often. 

Photoshop CC 2015 still has the "Save to web" feature, but it is somewhat hidden. You can access it by going to File --> Export --> Save to web (legacy). It can also be accessed by alt-shift-cmd(apple)-s.

And I agree: This is much more convenient than using the resize dialog.

Hope this helps!
E111

Date: 02/01/16 10:51

Thanks for the Photoshop 2015 tip on "Save for web." I certainly appreciate it.
Bob

Date: 02/01/16 13:03
Save to web

I use save to web regularly.  I believe the one disadvantage of using it is the EXIF data is excluded from the resulting file, but that is not important to me.

JBWX

Date: 02/07/16 14:28

Oh, the shame of it! I saw the Apple image on the DVD drive and didn't realize that the image was supposed to be on the bottom - After all I only had an Apple for a few days. SORRY! Photoshop Elements 11 loaded properly when the DVD drive was right-side-up. I did not try the old version of Lightroom.
Bob

Date: 02/10/16 09:42
Author: ssloansjca

Photoshop CC 2015 does have the save for Web feature. It is File (Menu) - Export > Save for Web (legacy)

~Steve Sloan
San Jose, CA

Date: 02/10/16 15:53

Thanks. I appreciate everyone's help. I think I can call this forum entry "answered".
Bob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0477 seconds