Home Open Account Help 203 users online

Railfan Technology > Dreamweaver alternative

Date: 01/30/16 15:45
Dreamweaver alternative
Author: tomd

I have just move to a Mac.  I have been using Dreamweaver for many years. I can get parallels and run CS5 under that.

But first I would like to know if there are any good alternatives to Dreamweaver.  I have a large website with thousand of files.

Any suggestions

Thanks

Tom

Tom Daspit
Morgan Hill, CA
Tom's Trains

Date: 01/30/16 16:13
Re: Dreamweaver alternative
Author: trainjunkie

Tom,

I've been using Dreamweaver since it was first released by Macromedia but the last few sites I've used it for, which were based on CSS templates, were a disaster in Dreamweaver (CS3 on OS X to be specific). Anything but WYSIWYG. I have no interest in upgrading to a newer version as it seems the CSS issues are common in all versions of DW on both platforms.

So recently I had to find another WYSIWYG solution and I ended up using Mozilla SeaMonkey Composer along with Brackets for certain coding tasks. Most of it can be done in SeaMonkey and it seems to work fairly well. Not as many features as DW, but enough for me and it displays CSS pages in the edit mode properly. Both SeaMonkey and Brackets are free downloads. Some people prefer KompoZer over SM, which is also free, but I found SM to be easier coming from DW.

One thing I recommend though is that before you open a html file, go to Preferences > Composer > and click on "Preserve original source formatting". Before I did that SM was stripping out some DIV tags and it was driving me crazy. With this checked, it will leave the code alone.

Date: 01/31/16 19:58
Author: milepost180

A good platform for running Windows software on a Mac is with "Crossover" from Codeweavers.  No need for parallels.  Check it out.

Date: 02/09/16 23:03
Author: tinytrains

Why do you need Windows. DreamWeaver is availble for Mac if you like it. I tried the demo.

I am still ticked off they killed Contribute. That was so easy to edit with. Total WYSIWYG. You just log in to your site, edit, and save to the site. It did not mater what it was created in, no source files, all HTML was editable.
I tried DW, but was not really WYSIWYG. If I am going to type HTML, I may as well use a text editor.
I am still looking for a Mac replacement for Contribute.

Scott Schifer
Torrance, CA
TinyTrains Website

Date: 02/11/16 13:52
Author: ssloansjca

Blue Griffon is a pretty good free Dreameaver Alternative.

~Steve

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0452 seconds