Home Open Account Help 217 users online

Railfan Technology > Dreamweaver and Windows 10

Date: 02/03/16 15:18
Dreamweaver and Windows 10
Author: donstrack

A family member just told me that Windows 10 was automatically installed on her Windows 7 machine. She did not notice a chance to say no.

That reminded me that a couple months ago, I did some research in preparation for losing Dreamweaver CS3 when I upgrade to from Win7Pro to Win10 myself. I'm too cheap to pay Adobe $20 a month for a copy of Dreamweaver that wouldn't be any different than what I have been using since 2005. Maybe a few more bells and whistles, and features I don't need, all of which don't apply to me, because I have been using PHP since 2004. Admittedly, very simple and minimal PHP, but PHP none the less.

A search for an alternative to Dreamweaver resulted in nothing comparable. Lots of suggestions concerning online editors, text editors, and IDE (integrated development environment) editors. After a couple days of twiddling, I found that I could use the free WAMP (Windows-Apache-MySQL-PHP) localhost server, and a PHP editor called RapidPHP, which is up to version 13, and costs $39.95. Works pretty good. But I'll wait until I have to absolutely give up DW to make the actual switch.

Unfortunately, I have to give up the greatest benefit of using Dreamweaver, which is DW's WYSIWYG view of tables. And on UtahRails, I have a lot of tables, in the form of rosters and other data.

Here are my links for when the time comes.

http://utahrails.net/tech-talk-localhost.php

Don Strack 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/16 17:49 by donstrack.

Date: 02/03/16 17:25
Re: Dreamweaver and Windows 10
Author: callum_out

The only way currently to avoid that is to shut off the automatic updates, choose the manual install
method.

Out

Date: 02/03/16 17:48
Author: donstrack

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The only way currently to avoid that is to shut
> off the automatic updates, choose the manual
> install
> method.
>
> Out

I did that many years ago, with every version of Windows I have used, from 3.1 to today. I have a link on my desktop that takes me to Windows Update, at a time of my choosing, which usually about once a month.

Don Strack

Date: 02/05/16 21:11
Author: TCnR

callum_out Wrote:
> The only way currently to avoid that is to shut
> off the automatic updates, choose the manual
> install
> method.
>
> Out

Agree, if you have auto-updates you get W10. The most basic step is to uncheck Auto Updates on the 'windows Update' selection from the Start Menu. When you do a simple update, read the list of updates and uncheck anything about Windows 10 or GWX.

Date: 02/06/16 05:46
Author: robj

TCnR Wrote:
> callum_out Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The only way currently to avoid that is to shut
> > off the automatic updates, choose the manual
> > install
> > method.
> >
> > Out
>
> Agree, if you have auto-updates you get W10. The
> most basic step is to uncheck Auto Updates on the
> 'windows Update' selection from the Start Menu.
> When you do a simple update, read the list of
> updates and uncheck anything about Windows 10 or
> GWX.

Right, on the other tread I mention that.  I never have auto updates for MS.  The S is not for Soft.

Bob

Date: 02/06/16 09:05
Author: Amtrak288

Windows 10 will not allow you to disable automatic updates.  You can "delay" or "defer" updates on the Professional version but ultimately, Microsoft is forcing you to take Auto Updates in Windows 10.  What you CAN do, is disable your internet connection when you don't need it.  I've been doing this with every version of Windows going back to Windows 2000!  If you don't want your computer constantly updating and would rather do said updates on your schedule, just go to the classic "Control Panel" which you'll get to by right-clicking on the Start button, then selecting "Control Panel".  Click "Network & Sharing Center", then "Change Adapter Settings".  Your internet connection should show up in a new dialog box, right click on the icon for it and select "Disable".  You're now "offline"!  You can follow the same steps to turn it back on again whenever YOU want!  Despite what some may believe, you do not have to be constantly connected to the internet to use Windows 10.  You can go back on the internet and manually update the machine by clicking Start, then "Settings", then select "Update & Security".  Outside of all of this, Windows 10 will ultimately update on its own, and will give you the option of setting up a time to reboot and update the machine or do so right away. 

​As far as Dreamweaver goes, I'm running CS5 and I have CS6 installed as well, I'm not ready to fork over money every month to Adobe to use the latest version (I still think to this day that that was a terrible idea), CS5 does everything I need right now and Photoshop CS5 and CS6 also work in Windows 10, I've had no issues with them either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/16 09:07 by Amtrak288.

Date: 02/09/16 16:10
Author: hoggerdoug

I've heard that installing a new full package Win 10, is better than just upgrading from Win 7. But then again what do I know, still using XP and that was an upgrade from Win 95!!!!!!!  Doug

Date: 02/10/16 09:36
Author: ssloansjca

BlueGriffon is an open source alternative to Dreamweaver. Sometimes it actually created cleaner code than Dreamweaver. Reportedly version 1.8 runs on Windows 10.

~Steve

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0507 seconds