Home Open Account Help 361 users online

Railfan Technology > Antenna Recommendations

Date: 03/19/16 20:32
Antenna Recommendations
Author: dcorreia

I purchased a Yaesu FT-270 and need a recommendation for a RR fequencies tuned antenna. Thanks.

Date: 03/19/16 23:14
Re: Antenna Recommendations
Author: K3HX

MFJ-1717S

MFJENTERPRISES.COM is the maker

I like to deal with Universal Radio   http://www.universal-radio.com

I've measured a worthwhile amount of gain on the railroad band even though it is
described as an amateur radio band antenna.

If you choose to purchase this antenna, be sure to tell the order taker you need the
1717 S as the "s" suffix is need to assure the proper connector.

Be Well,

Tim Colbert K3HX
30+years in the 2-way radio industry.

Date: 03/20/16 08:40
Author: WW

Both Smiley and Laird make 160 mHz-tuned antennas that work very well.  I think that the Laird has a slight edge in reception, but the Smiley's are a bit more physically robust.  I buy most of my Laird  antennas at www.theantennafarm.com .  Good folks to deal with.  The Laird model is the EXH-160 series--I think that it is the EXH-160-SMV that has the proper antenna connector for the FT-270, but you should verify that.  As I recall, the Laird requires the rubber at the bottom of the antenna to be trimmed slightly for the antenna to seat properly in the Vertex/Yaesu amateur radios--about 30 seconds work with a pocket knife.

The Smiley antenna is the Smiley Slim Duck tuned to the 160mHz band with a SMA Female Vertex antenna connector.  If you buy a Smiley, I recommend buying it directly from them--they stock antennas tuned for the railroad band--most amateur radio dealers don't.

I'm not a fan of using amateur type antennas for railfanning, as they are not tuned for the railroad band.  If, however, one is going to use the radio for transmitting on the amateur bands, then the railroad-tuned antennas will compromise the transmit performance of the radio somewhat. 

Both antennas are somewhat longer than stock portable antennas--that's the price one pays for the superior reception.  For the record, I work with portable radios at my job on a daily basis--my work environment is such that it pushes the radios to the limits of their reception range, so having decent antennas is essential.   These two models are what we use.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/16 08:45 by WW.

Date: 03/20/16 10:10
Author: TCnR

Another vote for the specific band, in this case 161 or 162 MHz, rather than extending the HAM band.

Unless there is a specifc reason to compromise, maybe using the HAM radio for transmitting and then stretching into the RR band, assuming a HAM license and all. When making comparisons a simple standard is the local NOAA Weather broadcast, although a little higher in frequency it gives a good standard for RR Band comparisons and troubleshooting purposes.

Also agree with AntennaFarm, there's a few similar places. I haven't tried Amazon but there are places out there with quality antennas in stock at a decent price. I've also used HamOutlet but more for chargers and S/W.

+Should have also said it doesn't hurt to have a spare antenna, maybe of a different style.

++Here's what I'm using on the two Yeasu's:
Bought it from Antenna Farm in Montana, found it using Google and digging through some websites:

Vertex ATV-10C
VHF 10.5" High Gain Antenna, 155-165MHz (Blk) VX-160/180/230/350/410/420/820/920 Series Portable Radios

It's not intended for the EOT frequency but it works pretty good with the FT60R. Suspect it's just a coincidence, shaped coat hanger kinda thing. It is about 10 inches.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/16 23:11 by TCnR.

Date: 03/20/16 19:21
Author: wa4umr

I use an antenna similar to the MFJ-1717.  It's just made by a different manufacturer.  It's about 18" long so it may be a bit awkward but it is a great improvement over the stock rubber duck.  I do transmit on mine.  I've never stuck on of these on an antenna analyzer so I can't say how much their performance is degraded by not being tuned exactly for the 161MHz range.  One simple fact to remember is that a quarter wavelength for 161MHz is about 17".  Anything shorter than that is going to be a compromise.  Some ducks are better than others.  Generally, "Bigger is better when it comes to antennas."

John  

Date: 03/21/16 13:39
Author: MW810

For external antennas, for vehicles - I have had excellent luck with Comtelco, Larid and PC Tel. A few of those companies have merged but some of the former company products are still sold/marked under the former names.

If you are using a mag mount base (ewwww) any standard NMO antenna will work fine in the VHF range. As stated, avoid the "ham" branded ones. Some are broadband on receive, others are not (such as Diamond). Most of the commercial ones I mentioned above are broadband, and at a 1/4 wave length should be about 19".

If you would like some possible gain, go with a 5/8 wave then 1/2 wave. Just know that those antennas will be rather tall and not mag mount and/or garage friendly.

I use and install 1/4 wave antennas for various commercial and public safety uses and the companies I listed above I use, and have good luck with. I do use 5/8 for certain fire trucks but its just to a system issue we have so I had to take drastic measures.

That's only half the story though....

What you mounting the antenna makes a big difference. On glass antennas would be the worse #4, with mag mount #3, lip/fender mount #2, and drilled NMO hole the best #1. Depending on radio type and location, the drilled will get you the best results. Not an option for most, but better than putting something on the roof that could move around, scratch and then create rust/corrosion issues down the road.

And even that is half the story. Your scanner/radio just may not be all that great for sensitivity. You can have the largest antenna out there but can't hear down the block. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. Currently the best scanners for sensitivity out there I am finding is the Uniden 535HP (mobile/desktop), 436HP (portable) and the latest GRE (don't recall the model number). Figure a $500 price tag - but they pull in the signal.

Commerical radios will be the best of the bunch but then you run into specialized programming software and hardware, limited scan features and if you don't know what you are doing, the possibility of transmitting on something you shouldn't.

Ham radios, while versatile and wide scanning platforms tend to have open receivers that allow in a bunch of channel interference on the non-ham bands (paging towers, other LMR channels, etc). The receivers in them are intentionally a little wide due to the nature of ham radio, but doesn't help when your using it as an out of bound scanners. Most lit for ham equipment will guarantee specs within the ham bands but state not guaranteed outside of it.

This is one of the line I have on my Tahoe and works pretty well as a transmit antenna and also using as a scanner antenna
http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/laird-technologies-bb132s-7379.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/16 13:42 by MW810.

Date: 03/21/16 15:15
Author: ChessieSystem

I also carry an FT270 HT, the Daimond SRH77CA is a great antenna. For mobile use I have been happy with maxrad- mv1322 on a magmount. 2 meter VHF, I tune my whip but you will do ok if you opt not to cut it.   
JW

dcorreia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I purchased a Yaesu FT-270 and need a
> recommendation for a RR fequencies tuned antenna.
> Thanks.
>  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/16 15:15 by ChessieSystem.

Date: 03/22/16 10:46

In mobile antennas, I use Larsen or Comtelco antennas.  The Larsen NMO-150 is the best of the lot, in my opinion, but it is too long for roof-mounting if one has to deal with parking garages, etc.  Comtelcos work very well and is the mobile antenna that many railroads use on their vehicles.  The key is to have them cut for best reception in the railroad bands.  I meter any mobile antenna that I use and having an incorrect length antenna, even by an inch or so, will degrade its reception considrably.

It can't be said often enough: a radio with poor sensitivity and selectivity (and that is what most scanners are) is still a poor radio, even with a good antenna.  Conversely, the best radio in the world will be a poor performer with a poor antenna.  In either radios or antennas, if you want good performance--BUY QUALITY. 

Date: 03/24/16 19:06
Author: alto_towerbob

Laird Technologies EXH-160SMV  155-165 MHz -- 10.5" SMA connector

Bob

Date: 03/29/16 11:53
Author: Rick2582

Lots of good recommendations above, I use the RH77CA and the Smiley.  Smiley is rugged for hiking and on your belt, can survive drops.  The 77CA is good for VHF voice and UHF EOT telemetry reception but not so rugged (don't drop the radio with it attached).  Sometimes use the telescoping scanner antenna by ScannerWorld or others, can give the best of both worlds in the field.

Date: 04/15/16 21:47
Author: JR24

On WW's suggestion, I just received a 5/8 Slim Duck 160 MHz (BNC) from Smiley for my Bearcat BC125AT. I'm VERY pleased with the improved performance (range and clarity) over the supplied antenna. Highly recommended, and thank you WW for sharing your extensive radio knowledge. 

Date: 04/16/16 07:48

You are quite welcome. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.085 seconds