Home Open Account Help 305 users online

Railfan Technology > Official Guide Binding

Date: 03/25/16 16:51
Official Guide Binding
Author: MartyBernard

I have a 1961 Official Guide of the Railways that is deteriorating from age and use. Both covers and not attached and the first couple of pages at both ends are loose too.  How and where can I get it rebound?  I, of course, want to still use it.

Ideas?

Marty Bernard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/16 16:52 by MartyBernard.

Date: 03/25/16 17:28
Re: Official Guide Binding
Author: LarryDoyle

Ahhhh, memories.

Amost 7 decades ago, I was in about third grade, and believe it or not had already pretty much worn out my Bible!  Serendipitously, my Sunday School teacher was a bookbinder.  I gave her the book for repair, and it came back to me rebound.

Her solution, which I pass on to you to use, or not, as you choose.

It came back to me bound with ---- duct tape!

-John

Date: 03/26/16 10:17
Author: Rathole

It might be cheaper to find another one on Ebay or at a railroadiana sale someplace.   You're right about one thing - those late 50's and early 60's Guides are great.  So much to study in them and see how things were before all the megamergers. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/16 11:24 by Rathole.

Date: 03/26/16 10:46
Author: dan

if you were in denver, denver bookbinding

Date: 03/26/16 14:38
Author: Frisco1522

I didn't think Ducttape existed 70 years ago.

Date: 03/26/16 16:14
Author: Rathole

It was developed in the 40's during World War II, so it's a little over 70 years old. 

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I didn't think Ducttape existed 70 years ago.

Date: 03/28/16 08:33
Author: Railbaron

Bookbinders are hard to find in this day and age but they're out there and many are very good. I had a very old Poors Manual rebound and when I got it back it was literally like new.

Date: 03/29/16 11:47
Author: Rick2582

I like those Official Guides too, unfortunately the least expensive way to continue to have access to that great info is buy another old Guide in better shape.  Rebinding is expensive.  Or find one of those Guide covers that RRs used to have at their Agencies, the cover was a hard shell that could be used over and over with each new edition of the Guide placed inside for a month, then changed out with the new issue.  The covers show up on eBay at times.  I also like to use those reprints that appear for sale occasionally also, the paper seems better.  After 1910 or so, the Guide used rather acidic paper like newsprint which disintegrated rapidly with use or exposure to light.  But it was cheap !

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.3453 seconds