Home Open Account Help 301 users online

Railfan Technology > Apple Music woes.

Date: 05/05/16 14:06
Apple Music woes.
Author: K3HX

https://blog.vellumatlanta.com/2016/05/04/apple-stole-my-music-no-seriously/

If they do this with music files, are photo files or other files (financial, medical) next?

Mr. Orwell, call your office.

Be Well,

Tim Colbert  K3HX

Date: 05/05/16 16:00
Re: Apple Music woes.
Author: LarryDoyle

My humbly offered personal philosophy - 

It used to be said there were three rules for backup:
1.  Backup
2.  Backup
3.  Backup

I think today this should be expressed as:
1.  Don't store confidential or proprieterary data to a backup service over which you do not have absolute control.  Doesn't matter how secure they promise you, or even whether you read (and, "agree to") their "contracts" or not.  In the long run, they can pay their lawyers more than you can.
2.  Backup.
3.  Do your own backups locally.  Unplug your CAT5 or turn off your local WiFi router to go "offline"  Then, while off-line, hardwire connect to your own auxliliary hard-drive.  An unbelievably huge auxiliary box can be had of about $half a rock. 
4.  Backup
5.  Remove your auxiliaary drive.
6.  Restore normal operation.

Just my thoughts. It's worked so far.  But, there's somebody, somewhere, trying to outsmart me.

-John 

Date: 05/05/16 23:41
Author: cchan006

K3HX Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If they do this with music files, are photo files
> or other files (financial, medical) next?

Only if there's financial gain by the perpetrator.

iTunes "growth" must not be looking good for Apple. Delete the music, force the uninformed iTunes user - slash - iCloud subscriber to repay and redownload. Rinse and repeat. Since Apple isn't "government," no laws were broken in this process... SOL.

Date: 05/06/16 01:29
Author: jbolle

Not Necessarily, interesting read located here, but good standard practices as noted above..

http://www.imore.com/no-apple-music-not-deleting-tracks-your-hard-drive-unless-you-tell-it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/16 01:30 by jbolle.

Date: 05/06/16 02:15
Author: junctiontower

I'm not a techy guy, not even close, but l have been preaching for several years that Apple's music products were over-rated crap endorsed by the "Apple can do no wrong crowd". I have ZERO interest in ANY service where you are basically just renting the songs and I have ZERO interest in any cloud based storage systems. I BUY my music, mostly from Amazon.com, download it to multiple back-ups, and play it with my $40 Sandisk MP3 player and on USB drives in my office, workshop, an vehicles. Several years ago, I tried to use I-Tunes, and swore never again. You can have it, AND those overpriced I-Pods, along with Pandora and other services like it.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/06/16 09:56
Author: jst3751

LarryDoyle Wrote:
> My humbly offered personal philosophy - 
>
> It used to be said there were three rules for
> backup:
> 1.  Backup
> 2.  Backup
> 3.  Backup
>
> I think today this should be expressed as:
> 1.  Don't store confidential or
> proprieterary data to a backup service over which
> you do not have absolute control.  Doesn't
> matter how secure they promise you, or even
> whether you read (and, "agree to") their
> "contracts" or not.  In the long run, they can
> pay their lawyers more than you can.
> 2.  Backup.
> 3.  Do your own backups locally.  Unplug your
> CAT5 or turn off your local WiFi router to go
> "offline"  Then, while off-line,
> hardwire connect to your own auxliliary
> hard-drive.  An unbelievably huge auxiliary box
> can be had of about $half a rock. 
> 4.  Backup
> 5.  Remove your auxiliaary drive.
> 6.  Restore normal operation.
>
> Just my thoughts. It's worked so far.  But,
> there's somebody, somewhere, trying to outsmart
> me.
>
> -John 

There is one big vital part you are missing, and which most everyone misses: TEST THOSE BACKUPS!

Backups are absolutly worthless unless you test them.
You do that be restoring to an alternative location then use a program that compares files to ensure the restored file is exactly the same as the original file. If anyone needs details on this, let me know.

Date: 05/07/16 06:19
Author: donstrack

junctiontower Wrote:
> I BUY my music,
> mostly from Amazon.com, download it to multiple
> back-ups, and play it with my $40 Sandisk MP3
> player and on USB drives in my office, workshop,
> an vehicles.

I buy 95% of my music from Amazon, or CD Baby, or rip it from Soundcloud or Bandcamp when not available for sale. I also buy music from Audio Network. From Amazon, I download it and completely ignore their cloud streaming service. I backup every night to two external hard drives. I went digital with my music in 2005, and today I find that I have 62+ GB of music, plus 2.5 GB of railroad sounds and 4.7 GB of podcasts. When I am out and about, I want all my music with me, all the time. So a 128GB iPod was just about my only choice, as well as using iTunes to sync. Sad to say, it is much simpler than anything else I've tried, and I tried several. I use foobar2000 as my desktop player, and I keep iTunes features and helper crap unchecked. I use the third-party iTunes library toolkit (just $13) to sync new additions and remove deletions. Unfortunately, I have to admit that I like using my iPod to find a particular album or song. Also, for the times I'm away from my computers, sitting in my Laz-E-Boy reading, I have a little Bluetooth cube speaker that works really well with the iPod.

Since everything I have is MP3, your mention of a Sandisk MP3 player sent me looking. I keep my MP3s pretty well organized, so a simple player might be a good idea, for when some "update" to iTunes/iPod finally drives me away from the Apple universe. I see that a Sandisk MP3 player has a microSD card slot, and I also see that microSD cards are available up to 128GB. Hmmmm....

Some of my lessons-learned might useful to someone else. Here they are.

http://utahrails.net/tech-talk-audio.php

Thanks for the tip.

Don Strack

Date: 05/17/16 03:09
Author: junctiontower

Just a word of warning, some of the Sandisk MP3 players with the MicroSD slot will only work properly with certain size SD cards. My C250 player will only format correctly with a 2GB card, which makes it a 4GB player.  Others may differ.  This works OK for me, because while I have about 400 music CDs and have purchased and accumulated about another 1000 songs from other sources, I only keep about 1600 songs handy at all times, and find myself listening to about the same 1000 or so anyway.  Anything more than that, and I keep finding myself skipping over songs to get to better ones.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0742 seconds