Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Railfan Technology > Camera microphone

Date: 06/05/16 19:55
Camera microphone
Author: MaryMcPherson

Just thought I'd way in on some equipment I've been using lately.

One of the problems I have found in shooting video along the railroad is for the sound to distort at high levels; mainly when whistles or horns are sounding close to the camera.

This spring, I have been breaking in a new microphone that seems to have solved the problem.  The microphone is an Audio-Technica AT8024 stereo model.

The key is that this unit has a three position attenuation switch, which cuts the sensitivity.  The model is designed to fit on the camera shoe, and can be used with video cameras and digital SLRs that have a 3.5mm microphone jack.

It isn't cheap, coming in at over $225.00, but it's worth it if you're looking to get good sound.

For windproofing, the microphone comes with a "Dead Rat" style wind muff.  On top of that, I added a wind muff that is designed to cover the built in microphones on a Zoom H4n recorder.  On top of that is a Rode "Dead Cat" muff, with a pair of black ladies knee high stockings added.  The latter probably don't add much to the windproofing, but they serve to keep the "fur" from the wind muffs from straying in front of the lens.  This combination has served well except for very strong gusts on a windy day.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 06/06/16 04:21
Re: Camera microphone
Author: Narr8rdanny

Audio Technica is always a good choice for mics and the AT8024 is good for railfanning in that it can take high sound pressure levels, like train horns.
Another option is the Rode Video Mic. At $149 it's much less expensive then the AT and sounds pretty good. You have to buy your own wind protection but Auray makes a Rycote knock-off for the Rode for about $30.

Danny Harmon
Tampa

Date: 06/06/16 14:40
Re: Camera microphone
Author: chico

Narr8rdanny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Audio Technica is always a good choice for mics
> and the AT8024 is good for railfanning in that it
> can take high sound pressure levels, like train
> horns.
> Another option is the Rode Video Mic. At $149 it's
> much less expensive then the AT and sounds pretty
> good. You have to buy your own wind protection but
> Auray makes a Rycote knock-off for the Rode for
> about $30.
>
> Danny Harmon
> Tampa

Ditto from my experience. I bought a ATR stereo condenser mic about 10 years ago, used it for plenty of recordings in the field. under $100 so not as versitile as the model you reference but a great mic imo for the money.  

chico

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0622 seconds