Home Open Account Help 243 users online

Railfan Technology > Polarizing Filter On DSLR?

Date: 06/21/16 14:17
Polarizing Filter On DSLR?
Author: pwh

Do polarizing filters give the same results on DSLR cameras as they do with film cameras? Is it worth buying? I have a Nikon D200. Thanks.

Date: 06/21/16 17:32
Re: Polarizing Filter On DSLR?
Author: jkh2cpu

For DSLR you want to use a circular polarizer. Gradually I've
learned to keep it screwed on about 95 per cent of the time...
it's always helpful. Try it in the rain sometime... it really
does cut down on reflections.

John.

Date: 06/21/16 20:29
Author: ChooChooDennis

Polarizers work by cutting certain reflections amazingly. They make colors much more saturated and can cut long distance haze.
The strongest effect is seen when the lens is 90 degrees to the sun, I.E. on your left or right. There is minimal effect when the sun is at your back or front.
Be aware that while cutting bad reflections is good, the polarizer also takes away highlights that can help make your image pop. Finally, it uses up about 1 1/2 stops of light.
Dennis
New York

Dennis Livesey
New York, NY

Date: 06/21/16 20:49
Author: bioyans

Yes, they work the same, and yes they are worth it. I always have a pro quality (I use a B+W high end model) polarizer with me, in case I need it. As others have stated,you will need a circular polarizer, and they work best when shooting at an angle to the sun. Be careful using them on ultra-wide angle lenses, as they will give uneven polarization (often resulting in part of the sky looking almost black). I buy them to fit the largest diameter lens I have (82mm) and then get adapter rings to fit all the smaller size lenses in my bag. Saves one from having to buy several copies of a $300 filter. Some of Singh-Ray's specialty polarizers, such as their color enhancing or "Gold n Blue" are intriguing, but are probably more suited to landscape photography than what the average rail fan will be shooting.

Posted from Android

Date: 06/22/16 14:11
Author: WrongMain

It's been my experience that polarizers don't work on digital as well as they do on film.  When shooting film, I was a diehard polarizer user, but now with my digital cameras, it mostly stays in the bag.  I think you'll find that digital sensors are less susceptible or sensitive to the effects that polarizers have on film.  i only use them when I'm taking still images.  Any action shots with the headlight coming at you will yield those ghost reflections that are caused by any filters being on the lens.  Shooting landscapes or lighthouses, my favorite non-railroad subject, I'll put on the polarizer, mainly because it can't hurt.  By the way, using circular polarizers has nothing to do with digital cameras,  It has to do with auto-focus cameras, whether digital or film.  An older non-circular polarizer will screw up the auto focusing system.  If you do buy a circular polarizer, I recommend B+W, also.  They're expensive, but worth the money, a quality product through and through.  Yeah, I bought one when I got my first digital camera.  Money well spent? I don't know.  Check out DPReview.com for more about using polarizers on digital cameras.  You'll get the best advice from that site.

Date: 06/24/16 10:29
Author: ChooChooDennis

In my experience, I find that Polarizers do the same glare reduction and color saturation in both mediums. When shooting and I want that Pola look, I get it.  I would imagine it comes down to what works for you.  

Dennis Livesey
New York, NY

Date: 06/30/16 10:35
Author: syscom3

I like mine when I need to cut down on haze or make the sky bluer. Remember to knock up your exposure setting between +0.7 and +1.0.

Date: 07/06/16 08:09
Author: fbe

If your camera has a through the lens light meter it will make the polarizer exposure adjustment.

syscom3 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like mine when I need to cut down on haze or
> make the sky bluer. Remember to knock up your
> exposure setting between +0.7 and +1.0.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0433 seconds