Home Open Account Help 379 users online

Railfan Technology > Moving to Win 10

Date: 07/12/16 18:18
Moving to Win 10
Author: railpix

Getting ready to make the "big leap."  Can anyone tell me if "Iview Media Pro 3" works in Win 10?  This is the version I bought back in 2007.  Works OK in Win 7, just want to know what I am in for.
Thanks for any feedback.
Railpix

Date: 07/12/16 18:36
Re: Moving to Win 10
Author: fbe

What do Microsoft and the software manufacturer say about that?

I could not get a straight answer from Adobe nor Microsoft about whether my Photoshop PSCS6 was compatible to Windows 10. So while I usually do a complete install of a new OS then reinstall all my third party software this time I elected to do an upgrade install of Win 10. I left all the third party software including Photoshop installed and let Win 10 work it's install around it.

The result was Photoshop works well with Windows 10 which is good since Adobe no longer supports PSCS6. You may find drivers from your software company for Win 10 to do a clean install.

Win 10 does run faster than Win 7 and is reported to be more stable.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/12/16 22:26
Author: railpix

Thanks, Alan

Long time since we've been in touch. Will be doing the (free?) upgrade in a few days once I get the bits and pieces sorted out.

Have fun,

John

Date: 07/13/16 08:06

Things worked pretty well when I did the upgrade. I downloaded the latest BIOS program for my Dell desktop. Then I checked every second day or so for Windows 7 updates on the web and installed everything Microsoft said was critical or important. An online read said that was important to get the computer ready for the upgrade.

The download took less than an hour and the install about 45 minutes. The computer must be online during the install. Windows 10 is like a 3.4G program but the download and install used 8 or 9 gigs over the internet. My home system at home is limited to 5G per month and I commonly use under 4G of that. If I reach 5G then ATT bumps me up another 1G and charges me $10. I had to buy 6G of extra data so my "free" software cost me $60. That will not be a problem with most users with high data plans.

Install and set up was the quickest I have done with a computer. Everything is now an app so you look in the app tile for programs and things like computer and control panel. You can drag these out to their own tile and pin them to the start page if you like. The small Windows logo with four squares in the lower left corner is also your friend if you need something.

Alan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/16 09:08 by fbe.

Date: 07/14/16 10:04
Author: gsnyder

Anyone have experience with the WIN10 upgrade in a Mac/Parallels environment?  Any 'gotchas' that you are aware of?

Date: 07/17/16 05:17
Author: Mgoldman

gsnyder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone have experience with the WIN10 upgrade in a
> Mac/Parallels environment?  Any 'gotchas' that
> you are aware of?

Biggest "gotcha" that I have heard is that Microsoft will
FINALLY be able to keep track of nearly everything you
do and use that info for any reason desired.

That's why it was free.  That's why they were trying so hard
to trick people into installing it.

I thought I read some common features (aps) were removed
too - buit never fear - there's an "ap" you buy from the new
Microsoft Ap store.

Nothing really that Google has not been doing - perhaps.

Do any of us have a choice - other than Apple?

/Mitch  - Windows 8

Date: 07/17/16 05:27
Author: Mgoldman

Here's how to opt out of *some* of the spyware - assuming you believe your requests will
actually be honored....

http://bgr.com/2015/07/31/windows-10-upgrade-spying-how-to-opt-out/

/Mitch

Date: 07/17/16 08:46
Author: cchan006

Mgoldman Wrote:
> Do any of us have a choice - other than Apple?

If Microsoft's strategy of using personal data to extract more money out of users is successful, then Apple will follow suit due to shareholder greed - iTunes "altering" your music collection (confirmed by several sources) is an example that they aren't too far behind Microsoft. Both companies can lobby together so politicians can declare a "War on Software Piracy." :-)

Open source OS like Linux and FreeBSD may become viable alternatives, if there's going to be a user rebellion against the private-data-for-profit schemes. Mac OS X will be at a HUGE disadvantage here, because it would be easy for rebel Apple developers to port their software to Linux and FreeBSD due to the similarity of the software platform.

Not sure if iOS users will be able to rebel in the same way.

If Apple can pull a Dell (go private and take themselves out of the stock market), then there's hope that they won't have to cater to Wall St. which is becoming dumber and dumber by the day. Due to their market cap, however, consider that scenario impossible for the time being.

Date: 07/22/16 05:44
Author: TheInstigator

Only problem I had was my Canon MG5320 Printer wouldn't work not supported by Canon so we back to 8.
Andy

Date: 07/22/16 18:52

If you want Win 10 uninstall the printer driver then put Win 10 back in as the OS. Then install the printer drivers. When the Win 10 says the drivers are not supported you have the option of seeking a solution. One of the options will ask which version of Windows the drivers worked under. You specify Windows 8 they will ask if you want install the drivers to operate under that OS and when you do that your printer will probably work just fine.

Lets us know if that will work for you.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/26/16 05:46
Author: bobwilcox

Time to bite the Apple? 

fbe Wrote:
> If you want Win 10 uninstall the printer driver
> then put Win 10 back in as the OS. Then install
> the printer drivers. When the Win 10 says the
> drivers are not supported you have the option of
> seeking a solution. One of the options will ask
> which version of Windows the drivers worked under.
> You specify Windows 8 they will ask if you want
> install the drivers to operate under that OS and
> when you do that your printer will probably work
> just fine.
>
> Lets us know if that will work for you.
>
> Posted from iPhone

Bob Wilcox
Charlottesville, VA
My Flickr Shots

Date: 07/27/16 21:39

Why would you do that? When Apple forces a new OS upon users there are a lot of heritage programs and equipment which no longer work with the new OS.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0758 seconds