Home Open Account Help 233 users online

Railfan Technology > E-mail Client suggestions other then Yahoo or AOL

Date: 07/26/16 21:49
E-mail Client suggestions other then Yahoo or AOL
Author: mundo

I want to get away from Yahoo as my e-mail client.   NO AOL.

I have five e-mail addresses if one is not usable on multi addresses.

I am totaly lost with computer talk or understanding.

Any suggestions  either good  or  BAD.

Date: 07/26/16 22:39
Re: E-mail Client suggestions other then Yahoo or AOL
Author: TCnR

Many people are using Smart phones with Gmail or whatever Apple calls thier system. Google is able to combine your existing e-mail accounts into one G-mail account.

Date: 07/27/16 03:15
Author: acltrainman

I finally had to switch my email accounts due to Frontier taking over Verizon. So finally I have G Mail and its a good program and have multiple email addresses.

Stanley Jackowski
Valrico, FL

Date: 07/27/16 04:03
Author: colehour

I've used a couple of different clients over the years, and have settled on Thunderbird. I've been using it for more than ten years, and I have found it easy to use and trouble-free. I recently learned that it is the client used by Mark Zuckerberg (founder of Facebook). I recently read that Mozilla is not planning on developing it in the future, but it is still supported, as far as I know.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/16 13:25 by colehour.

Date: 07/27/16 08:10
Author: Cumbres

There is a for pay offshoot of Thunderbird called Postbox which I like better.  It is easy to install and usually sets up almost identically to Thunderbird. 

Date: 07/27/16 10:36
Author: trainjunkie

The OP seems to be confusing the term e-mail "client" with "provider".

The e-mail client is a program that resides on your device that retrieves and presents e-mail from your provider's mail server. Your e-mail provider is the company (host) that provides the e-mail service to you through the use of their mail servers and domains.

As far as providers are concerned, I've found Google's Gmail service to be the most reliable of the free services.

https://www.google.com/intl/en/mail/help/about.html

With regards to e-mail clients, the list is long but we would need to know the type of device you are using and the operating system and version to give you any useful advice.

Date: 07/27/16 21:10

Sorry, if I used the wrong term.  I do not speak computer talk.  I just want the best way to receive e-mail not using Yahoo or AOL.

Date: 07/28/16 13:22
Author: NDHolmes

My suggestion - sign up for a gmail account and just use the web-based interface for it.  No clients to load, almost perfectly reliable, and Google isn't going anywhere so your email is safe for years to come.

Date: 07/28/16 19:46
Author: cchan006

mundo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry, if I used the wrong term.  I do not speak
> computer talk.  I just want the best way to
> receive e-mail not using Yahoo or AOL.

The 3 big tech companies offering e-mail are Apple (via iCloud), Google (Gmail), and Microsoft ("Live Mail"). Rumor is that Microsoft's e-mail service is on borrowed time. For those who remember, this was a result of their acquisition of hotmail many years ago.

Google's e-mail service seems to be the solid choice. Off topic, but Yahoo!'s pending sale to Verizon is interesting. As of now, AT&T (competition) partners with Yahoo! for their e-mail service.

Date: 07/29/16 11:57
Author: ReadingRR

Another vote for Gmail.  They also have very good spam filters.
Paul

Date: 07/29/16 12:53
Author: sptno

The first one we used was AOL, bad, bad, bad.  Then we changed to SBC, then AT&T, then eventually DSL.  I cannot remember the email client that we uesed at that time, it was a mess though.
Then we started using Outlook via pop email.
Each change required us to migrate or rebuild our contact list.
Finally we moved to Gmail and have not looked back.  I even like Gmail better using Outlook, via pop.  Just works.
We recently changed our service provider from Time Warner Roadrunner to Google Fiber.  Email never missed a beat because our primary provider is Gmail.
Very little or no spam.  No issues with viruses.
My vote is for Gmail.

Pat
South Austin, TX

Date: 08/08/16 19:15

Thanks everybody.

Ed

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0462 seconds