Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Railfan Technology > Computer question, anti virus program

Date: 08/02/16 07:01
Computer question, anti virus program
Author: hoggerdoug

Just wondering what happens to all the "little goodies" quarantined in anti virus and spyware programs when changing to another software and uninstalling the older virus software etc.  Thanks,   Doug

Date: 08/02/16 09:21
Re: Computer question, anti virus program
Author: BRAtkinson

The are 'forgotten'.  The new anti-virus/internet security software MAY detect the competitors product if it is still running and require its removal before installing the new product.  But other than that, there is no reason that the new software would need to be 'aware' of what the previous product had quarantined, removed, etc.  In all liklihood, the methods, options, and perhaps the file name containing the list of the quarantined files will all be deleted during the uninstallation of the prior software.  I've also discovered that some 'low cost/free' security products can be reinstalled while downloading and installing a desired product, resulting in 2 security programs running concurrently and 'fighting each other' for CPU time.  Be very careful when installing ANY software, downloaded or purchased on CD.  Almost ALL of them offer a number of 'freebies' such as a new home page, a different browser, or even a 'convenience' toolbar for your current browser, and sometimes, anti virus software.  NEVER choose the 'easy installation' option, and check each screen that requires a response and opt out/decline everything except the product your are installing.

Of necessity, each AV/IS software vendor has numerous proprietary security methods, techniques and internal passwords are highly protected by the software itself to prevent its being specifically compromised by a worm, virus, etc.  About 30 years ago, when I was writing my second product for PCs, I had written a number of anti-piracy and anti-tampering pieces of code that would fool even the best of disassemblers of the day.  I have little doubt that similar technologies have long become far more advanced in their anti-hacking measures.  

Not to worry, though.  When installing a new anti virus product or internet security product, the FIRST thing you should do is 'force' it to get the latest updates from the vendors site.  Second, do a FULL SCAN on your computer.  That way, everything that had been previously quarantined will be recognized again and handled according to whatever options you have selected.  Some products will optionally remove the offending files from your computer, which is probably safest.  The reason is that most viruses that I have manually removed from unprotected friends computers have 3 or more concurrently running tasks that continuously 'detect' the presence or absence of the other 2 and will instantly restore the missing component!  Many software products, including Microsoft Windows itself have that kind of 'instant healing' capability as well. 

If you haven't already done so, choose the full 'internet security' program (some vendors call it 'total security') rather than a comparatively simple anti-virus program.  The reason is that anti-virus programs only detect and remove/fix the virus after it has already infected your computer.  Yes, Windows firewall product will protect to some degree any 'bad stuff' getting to your computer in the first place.  But my thinking is that I'd rather have a fully integrated product that the 'left hand' knows what the 'right hand' is doing, etc.  Another suggestion is you purchase a product that has a multi-device license (typically 1, 3, 5, 10 or more or something like that), that will cover all your computers and smart phones as well!   I have 3 Windows 7 computers and an Android smart phone so I purchased a 5-device license from the vendor.  One of the features of the product I chose is that I can remotely lock or even clean off my smart phone should it be lost or stolen.  Of note, though, is that I recall the product only works on Android devices, not iPhone, etc.  So, carefully read the fine print of any product to determine if your smart phone or tablet computers.  

In the past 8-10 years, I've switched internet security vendors 4 times!  Why?  Mostly because they sometimes 'hog' the computer too much, consuming a significant percentage of CPU utilization (yes, I'm a retired techhie/speed freak).  One product, available for up to 5 devices for $49, requires consent to automatic billing & renewal, which can be later withdrawn, but I failed to do so.  The result was that exactly 11 months, not 12, not 11.5, not 11 months + 29 days later, it automatically renewed at the 'full rate' of $98!!!!  I knew that would happen, and had planned to renew it online at their site for $49 about 2 weeks in advance, but they beat me to the punch.  I didn't discover this until paying my credit card bill a couple weeks later.  After contacting the company and being advised I had consented to the automatic renewal, I knew they 'had me' and I let it ride.  However, I immediately turned off the automatic renewal option and switched to a competitors product the day before the old one 'expired'.  Surprisingly, even now, almost 2 years after leaving them, I STILL get an occassional email indicating their product has expired and I should renew it immediately!  Over my dead body!  

Date: 08/02/16 09:35
Author: GN_X838

I have Apple products and have always been happy with them. I have started DCC and the software will not support
my Mac. I found an economical laptop  with windows 10. My couson, a EE ,uses ESet and it has one of the cover all products.
Has anyone used it?......Swede........Albany,Or.

Date: 08/02/16 09:51
Author: hoggerdoug

WOW !!!! Thank You for that reply and explanation, a lot of info and good advice.   thanks,  Doug
BRAtkinson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The are 'forgotten'.  The new anti-virus/internet
> security software MAY detect the competitors
> product if it is still running and require its
> removal before installing the new product.  But
> other than that, there is no reason that the new
> software would need to be 'aware' of what the
> previous product had quarantined, removed, etc. 
> In all liklihood, the methods, options, and
> perhaps the file name containing the list of the
> quarantined files will all be deleted during the
> uninstallation of the prior software.  I've also
> discovered that some 'low cost/free' security
> products can be reinstalled while downloading and
> installing a desired product, resulting in 2
> security programs running concurrently and
> 'fighting each other' for CPU time.  Be very
> careful when installing ANY software, downloaded
> or purchased on CD.  Almost ALL of them offer a
> number of 'freebies' such as a new home page, a
> different browser, or even a 'convenience' toolbar
> for your current browser, and sometimes, anti
> virus software.  NEVER choose the 'easy
> installation' option, and check each screen that
> requires a response and opt out/decline everything
> except the product your are installing.
>
> Of necessity, each AV/IS software vendor has
> numerous proprietary security methods, techniques
> and internal passwords are highly protected by the
> software itself to prevent its being specifically
> compromised by a worm, virus, etc.  About 30
> years ago, when I was writing my second product
> for PCs, I had written a number of anti-piracy and
> anti-tampering pieces of code that would fool even
> the best of disassemblers of the day.  I have
> little doubt that similar technologies have long
> become far more advanced in their anti-hacking
> measures.  
>
> Not to worry, though.  When installing a new anti
> virus product or internet security product, the
> FIRST thing you should do is 'force' it to get the
> latest updates from the vendors site.  Second, do
> a FULL SCAN on your computer.  That way,
> everything that had been previously quarantined
> will be recognized again and handled according to
> whatever options you have selected.  Some
> products will optionally remove the offending
> files from your computer, which is probably
> safest.  The reason is that most viruses that I
> have manually removed from unprotected friends
> computers have 3 or more concurrently running
> tasks that continuously 'detect' the presence or
> absence of the other 2 and will instantly restore
> the missing component!  Many software products,
> including Microsoft Windows itself have that kind
> of 'instant healing' capability as well. 
>
> If you haven't already done so, choose the full
> 'internet security' program (some vendors call it
> 'total security') rather than a comparatively
> simple anti-virus program.  The reason is that
> anti-virus programs only detect and remove/fix the
> virus after it has already infected your
> computer.  Yes, Windows firewall product will
> protect to some degree any 'bad stuff' getting to
> your computer in the first place.  But my
> thinking is that I'd rather have a fully
> integrated product that the 'left hand' knows what
> the 'right hand' is doing, etc.  Another
> suggestion is you purchase a product that has a
> multi-device license (typically 1, 3, 5, 10 or
> more or something like that), that will cover all
> your computers and smart phones as well!   I have
> 3 Windows 7 computers and an Android smart phone
> so I purchased a 5-device license from the
> vendor.  One of the features of the product I
> chose is that I can remotely lock or even clean
> off my smart phone should it be lost or stolen. 
> Of note, though, is that I recall the product only
> works on Android devices, not iPhone, etc.  So,
> carefully read the fine print of any product to
> determine if your smart phone or tablet computers.
>  
>
> In the past 8-10 years, I've switched internet
> security vendors 4 times!  Why?  Mostly because
> they sometimes 'hog' the computer too much,
> consuming a significant percentage of CPU
> utilization (yes, I'm a retired techhie/speed
> freak).  One product, available for up to 5
> devices for $49, requires consent to automatic
> billing & renewal, which can be later withdrawn,
> but I failed to do so.  The result was that
> exactly 11 months, not 12, not 11.5, not 11 months
> + 29 days later, it automatically renewed at the
> 'full rate' of $98!!!!  I knew that would happen,
> and had planned to renew it online at their site
> for $49 about 2 weeks in advance, but they beat me
> to the punch.  I didn't discover this until
> paying my credit card bill a couple weeks later. 
> After contacting the company and being advised I
> had consented to the automatic renewal, I knew
> they 'had me' and I let it ride.  However, I
> immediately turned off the automatic renewal
> option and switched to a competitors product the
> day before the old one 'expired'.  Surprisingly,
> even now, almost 2 years after leaving them, I
> STILL get an occassional email indicating their
> product has expired and I should renew it
> immediately!  Over my dead body!

Date: 08/02/16 12:16
Author: colehour

GN_X838 Wrote:
> I have Apple products and have always been happy
> with them. I have started DCC and the software
> will not support
> my Mac. I found an economical laptop  with
> windows 10. My couson, a EE ,uses ESet and it has
> one of the cover all products.
> Has anyone used it?......Swede........Albany,Or.

I've been using it for a couple of years. It was highly rated by, I think, Consumer Reports a few years ago. The basic license covers several devices, including a smartphone. 

It seems to be doing the job pretty well. I've had no problems with it, except that occasionally it does not update the virus signature automatically and I have to do that manually -- just clicking on a link, basically.

Date: 08/03/16 08:05
Author: robj

I have not used an addon virus program for around 10 years except for the free starter version. In the past at least I could uninstall to get rid of renewal notices.

I use firefox and am not on a network.  I also don't use outlook, and watch sites I go to or links I use.

Bob Jordan

Date: 08/03/16 09:34
Author: colehour

robj Wrote:
> I have not used an addon virus program for around
> 10 years except for the free starter version. In
> the past at least I could uninstall to get rid of
> renewal notices.
>
Recent MS operating systems have anti-malware programs built in, and I know savvy people who rely on them. rather than some add-on program

I used to use a free program called Avast, which used to get good reviews. I think there are several other free programs out there which could be considered. 

Date: 08/05/16 09:18
Author: radar

The anti malware programs that come with recent versions of Windows are much better than nothing, but they are not as effective as a good anti-virus product.  I have used Kaspersky for many years, and it always rates highly in the independant tests.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0857 seconds