Home Open Account Help 395 users online

Railfan Technology > DSLR viewfinder size

Date: 08/06/16 16:21
DSLR viewfinder size
Author: moose

I have used 35mm film cameras for 50 years but would like to go to digital. My vision such that I need to keep the largest viewfinder possible and the DX format cameras seem much smaller than my Canon FTb and F-1. I realize I can use the LCD screen but in sunlight this is often dicey, plus, frankly, it makes me feel lie a nimrod. Anyone have any ideas of what I should look for? Do the FX format cameras have appreciably larger finders? I am in Green River, Wyoming so I can't just hop downtown and look at various cameras.
Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

Date: 08/06/16 21:27
Re: DSLR viewfinder size
Author: lanewsman

Date: 08/06/16 22:00
Author: ChooChooDennis

DSLR full frame cameras have a sensor the same size as the image produced by a 35mm film camera. In order for the mirror and the viewfinder to work properly, they both must be the same physical size of the image. Nikon DX/ Canon APS-C cameras have a sensor smaller than full frame, thus the mirror and the viewfinder are smaller. Look through both a full frame/35mm film camera and then a DX/APS-C to graphically see the difference. If you like the bigger image, then full frame is for you.
Or you might consider mirrorless camera's such as the Panasonic GH4, the Fujifilm X-T10 or the pricey Sony a7 R II. The have no mirror so the viewfinder can be any size. While I have not compared viewfinder sizes with these, I do not recall them being too small.

Dennis Livesey
New York, NY

Date: 08/07/16 01:23
Author: idontstairs

Date: 08/07/16 09:56
Author: bioyans

ChooChooDennis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> DSLR full frame cameras have a sensor the same
> size as the image produced by a 35mm film camera.
> In order for the mirror and the viewfinder to work
> properly, they both must be the same physical size
> of the image. Nikon DX/ Canon APS-C cameras have a
> sensor smaller than full frame, thus the mirror
> and the viewfinder are smaller. Look through both
> a full frame/35mm film camera and then a DX/APS-C
> to graphically see the difference. If you like the
> bigger image, then full frame is for you.
> Or you might consider mirrorless camera's such as
> the Panasonic GH4, the Fujifilm X-T10 or the
> pricey Sony a7 R II. The have no mirror so the
> viewfinder can be any size. While I have not
> compared viewfinder sizes with these, I do not
> recall them being too small.

While a full frame usually has a larger and brighter viewfinder, it doesn't mean it has 100% coverage.  I have a Canon 6D, and the viewfinder only shows 97% of the image space.  My older Rebel was the same way, at 95%.  Usually, the higher end the camera model, the closer you get to 100% coverage in your viewfinder.

Typically, the viewfinder percentage-to-image size is listed somewhere in a camera's spec sheet.  Just have to sift through them to find it.

As others have said, there are LCD shades/eyepieces that you can mount on your camera, to use the LCD in "Live Veiw" mode as an electronic viewfinder.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/16 09:58 by bioyans.

Date: 08/07/16 17:02
Author: robj

Not sure if this is relevant to your vision but digital cameras have diopters.

http://digital-photography-school.com/using-diopter-adjustment/

Bob Jordan

Date: 08/08/16 06:34
Author: moose

Thanks for all the tips and ideas. Lots of good information there and I will be looking into things further when I recover from my current dilemma of a broken leg. (lapse of concentration, don't ask)
As usual, the TO crowd comes through!!

Date: 08/08/16 08:23
Author: NormSchultze

The hoodman hood loupe is a magnifier for the LCD. That's why it is pricey, it's for detailed chimping.  There are other sunshades that flip out without the magnifing lenses of the hood loupe. Search B&H Photo or Adorama.  Won't work on articulating LCDs.

Date: 08/08/16 10:11
Author: bioyans

NormSchultze Wrote:
> The hoodman hood loupe is a magnifier for the LCD.
> That's why it is pricey, it's for detailed
> chimping.  There are other sunshades that flip
> out without the magnifing lenses of the hood
> loupe. Search B&H Photo or Adorama.  Won't work
> on articulating LCDs.

I usually carry one of the Hoodman Loupes whenever out shooting, and I can't recommend them any higher!  The carrying case has a strap to slide your belt through, and the entire loupe will collapse down to about half its size.  It also has diopter adjustment built into the eyepiece, for fine tuning the focus (in case you normally need reading glasses, like many of us do).

It was well worth the investment.  The sunshades made by them, are essentially the loupe with a few add-on pieces to allow for fixed (but removable) mounting over your LCD.

Date: 08/08/16 16:13
Author: E25

I really miss using my Canon F1n equipped with the Speed Finder FN.  It was like looking through a window!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/16 16:18 by E25.

Date: 08/20/16 19:57
Author: SR_Krause

Having read this thread.....

I think the question you're asking and that perhaps hasn't been answered well is what will provide the best viewfinder for you when composing and pushing the shutter button.

I agree, the LCD on the back isn't going to be useful - it's really not useful to anyone doing any serious photography due to the issues with sunlight.

There are two kinds of viewfinders currently in use, an LCD 'repeater' that you view through the eyepiece in the traditional fashion, and the more traditional optical version with all the controls, etc. superimposed on it.

Brightness is going to be as much a consideration as size I think.

I left film using a Canon AE-1P and went to a Canon S-5, then a 40D, and now a 6D. (So, 10 year old mirrorless technology with LCD eyepiece viewfinder, 8 year old DSLR with optical VF, and 4 year old DSLR with optical VF)

Both the 40D and 6D have markedly superior viewfinders to my old AE-1P. Admitedly, part of that effect is in the optics. Digital 'glass' is using larger front elements, and gathering more light than older lenses. That has the side effect of improving what's available to a viewfinder.

The S5, with the LCD based viewfinder, I always found to be a major compromise. It was almost as much adventure between pressing the shutter button and seeing what you got on the LCD screen as it was to wait for my film to get processes. Now, that's a 10 year old experience, things may have improved markedly since then.

SRK

moose Wrote:
> I have used 35mm film cameras for 50 years but
> would like to go to digital. My vision such that I
> need to keep the largest viewfinder possible and
> the DX format cameras seem much smaller than my
> Canon FTb and F-1. I realize I can use the LCD
> screen but in sunlight this is often dicey, plus,
> frankly, it makes me feel lie a nimrod. Anyone
> have any ideas of what I should look for? Do the
> FX format cameras have appreciably larger finders?
> I am in Green River, Wyoming so I can't just hop
> downtown and look at various cameras.
> Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

Steve Krause
Chillicothe, IL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0833 seconds