Home Open Account Help 262 users online

Railfan Technology > Windows 10 Anniversary update

Date: 08/07/16 15:23
Windows 10 Anniversary update
Author: fbe

I did a download of this program yesterday and the install crashed at about 98% complete with an error 0x80070057.  This is an error for a number of problems none of which I really wanted to deal with.  Today I deleted the download files for the update and did a fresh download.  Install went just fine though it takes a while to finish.  If you poke around the internet you can find a listing of all the things which get changed with this "major" update.  Mostly it does a lot of things MS just never got finished before Win 10 was released a year ago.  Most things are pretty helpful though there are things which I am not really comfortable with.

One thing good is you can remove the Windows apps for photos, music and movies if you like to use your own programs, apps like you have been doing.  Edge can now be your default browser if you like.

​Cortana can now be enabled.  Be warned, Cortana wants access to your location, all past locations, all your searches, websites and even more.  It also wants access to all of your contacts.  I have used Cortana on my Windows phone and found it amateurish at best and a horrible data hog since it only works with location on.  My smartphone data plan of 5G/mo would be exhausted long before the month is over so I have Cortana off there and have not enabled it on the laptop.

​So have at it and do the upgrade if you like but take some time to read about the changes while you are doing set up options.  Pop Up blocking is the default.  Horay! 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/16 15:25 by fbe.

Date: 08/07/16 17:44
Re: Windows 10 Anniversary update
Author: norm1153

Not me, sorry!  Windows 7 lives!! 

Date: 08/07/16 20:04
Author: cchan006

fbe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ​Cortana can now be enabled.  Be warned,
> Cortana wants access to your location, all past
> locations, all your searches, websites and even
> more.  It also wants access to all of your
> contacts.  I have used Cortana on my Windows
> phone and found it amateurish at best and a
> horrible data hog since it only works
> with location on.  My smartphone data plan of
> 5G/mo would be exhausted long before the month is
> over so I have Cortana off there and have not
> enabled it on the laptop.
>
> ​So have at it and do the upgrade if you like
> but take some time to read about the
> changes while you are doing set up options.  Pop
> Up blocking is the default.  Horay! 

Thanks for sharing your pain and triumph. I did a quick research of the laundry list of new features and improvements for Windows 10, and two things stand out:

Windows 10 now has a bash shell. Translation: Unix-like command line interface. It's Microsoft's attempt to entice power users, but Linux and Mac OS X users probably won't budge, because for them, that feature is native to the operating system. RIP, MS-DOS.

Windows 10 license is now tied to your identity, instead of the hardware. Much can be debated on this one, but I'll refrain. Bottom line is, Microsoft believes Moore's Law is dead, that they no longer believe revenue is tied to hardware upgrades.

For the mainstream users, Microsoft wants your Windows 10 device (desktop, laptop, tablet, phone) to be your indispensable personal assistant. I've spent years trying to find good calendar-based application for all my devices, but now Microsoft is finally making it a core feature. Anyway, this might sound far-fetched, but they are trying to make secretaries and administrative assistants obsolete. Your smart and attractive secretary has now been virtualized as Cortana. :-(

Date: 08/07/16 21:41

Thanks for filling ouut the story. I am mixed about this Windows 10 plan.  I think it is a better software OS but I am a bit uncomfortable with all the stuff they have hung onto it.  I doubt all those users who's primary focus is social media are ever going to complain about any of this.  Maybe businesses will revolt and force the program to get a productive focus and help us all out.

​Cortana on my Windows 8.1 phone is a crude browser at best.  Not much positive feedback anywhere about it and it seems most people are opting out of it.  I see no need to use it and do not like all the intrusions from it.  I will see how long I can do this until we all get forced to sign up to it. 

Date: 08/08/16 10:19
Author: GN_X838

I just purchased a HP laptop which came with 10 installed.  I gave up and went to
win 10 because I want to use a computer to set up my DCC locos..........
..My MAC still lives..........Swede..........Albany,Or.....

Date: 08/08/16 12:38
Author: Amtrak288

I updated my desktop computer (I built the machine myself last November with Windows 10 Pro from the ground up), as well as my 2 1/2 year old HP laptop.  Desktop machine upgraded flawlessly but on the laptop, I did end up with a few BSOD's (blue screen of death) which I traced back to having had an incompatible version of Kaspersky Anti-Virus installed, after updating that, the problem went away.  I updated both computers by downloading the ISO file from Microsoft and burning that to a DVD, rather than upgrading by direct download.  Make sure to check all the privacy settings, I have no use for Cortana so I set that feature as hidden.  Also, you can remove most of the default Windows apps using the Powershell program (I have no use for most of them), a quick Google Search will show you how.

Date: 08/09/16 14:33
Author: jst3751

Just a word of caution: Many, and I mean many, in the SMB market are very upset about this update. It REMOVES certain flexibilities for domain administrators and Active Directory control.

Date: 08/09/16 17:48
Author: tq-07fan

norm1153 Wrote:
> Not me, sorry!  Windows 7 lives!! 
>
>  
Here! Here!

Jim

Date: 08/09/16 19:01

Note the subject line of the thread is Windows 10 Anniversary update. If you want to talk Windows 7 or Apple start your own thread. Probably everyone doing the Win 10 update has experience with Win 7 and has elected to move to Win 10.

If you have Win 10 experiences you think are appropriate please add them here. If you have no keyboard time in Windows 10 please refrain from butting in.

Thank you.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/09/16 21:00
Author: BRAtkinson

Now that everyone is nice and comfy with Windows 10, here's a list of personal privacy issues you have given over to Microsoft when you chose Windows 10.  Big Brother lives!

Windows 10 is spying on you!

Date: 08/10/16 01:22
Author: norm1153

fbe, you and all other Windows 10 users will start paying a subscription fee for the privilege of receiving updates soon.  Windows 10 Enterprise users will have every copy of Windows 10 charged a continuing subscription fee starting next year.  Regular (you) users will, in fact, follow

You can turn off updates in Windows 10, but guess what?  Windows 10 will turn them back on, unannounced, at a later date.  You agreed to all this, and more. 

I hereby certify that this is a Windows 10 related post.   BTW, I will post any PM's i receive on this subject, right here.

Microsoft appears to be following the Adobe business model.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/16 01:40 by norm1153.

Date: 08/10/16 02:35
Author: gandydancer4

They can have my Mac when they pry it from my cold, dead hand. 

Date: 08/16/16 16:14
Author: EspeeGoldenState

norm1153 Wrote:
> fbe, you and all other Windows 10 users will start
> paying a subscription fee for the privilege of
> receiving updates soon.  Windows 10 Enterprise
> users will have every copy of Windows 10 charged a
> continuing subscription fee starting next year. 
> Regular (you) users will, in fact, follow
>

And do you not know what Enterprise is? It's a Commercial version, where the IT department can lock down what you do with your computer. So sure, if you have an IT department and have 30 computers, you will pay $210 a month for those computers to have Windows 10. But most likely you are already paying for a Office 365 subscription for each computer, as well as a Windows Server or two (maybe more).

So before inciting a panic about people upgrading to Windows 10, maybe you shouldn't just spout out non-sense. I'm sure the majority of TO users don't have an Enterprise copy of W10 or even have to pay for it if they did.

"Microsoft doesn’t say that your PC will continue getting free updates forever. Instead, they say that those feature updates and security updates will continue “for the supported lifetime of your device.”Microsoft hasn’t actually explained what this phrase means, but it has a bit of an obvious explanation to it. Windows can’t continue to support old hardware forever — Windows 10 won’t run on PCs from 20 years ago. Whatever version of Windows exists twenty years from now probably won’t support today’s Windows 10 PCs. Microsoft gets to draw the line of when they want to stop supporting old hardware with future updates."http://www.howtogeek.com/220957/no-windows-10-won%E2%80%99t-require-a-subscription-heres-how-microsoft-plans-on-making-money-instead/

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/WindowsForBusiness/Compare

Chris

Date: 08/16/16 17:22

Microsoft has even gone so far as to make deals with the hardware vendors for Windows 10 computers to NOT produce device drivers for pre-Win 10 versions!  What that means is that in coming years, and to a limited degree already, one cannot buy a Windows 10 computer/tablet/smartphone and replace that with Wndows 7, or 8.1.  I call that corporate conspiracy, but so far, Uncle Sam doesn't think so.

As I have discovered while keeping my own as well as a friends' old, Windows XP computers 'alive'...programs and features magically stop working, all by themselves.  Anti-virus software support for XP computers?  Fading fast.  Most of all, Internet Explorer...last XP compatible version is release 8.  Many, many websites will no longer communicate with IE8.  Even video players & related codecs used by Youtube and Facebook require newer versions that are not available for use with XP.  My XP computer has long been a non-internet computer used for software with no forward compatibility from XP or programs too costly to upgrade.  My friend uses his XP box mostly for word processing and email these days.  The older version of MS Outlook he's using doesn't have features availlable on his other devices such as leaving the email on the server, etc.  In short, Microsoft wants to make absolutely sure everyone will march to THEIR drummer and have to continually upgrade and pay for the privelege until we die! 

Date: 08/16/16 21:23

Without doubt Microsoft wants to become in charge of it's own destiny.

I had a pair of HP LaserJet printers attached to the old desktop I installed Win 10 on. I disconnect all peripherals from the computer for the upgrade. Yesterday I absolutely needed to print some items and decided to set both printers to the laptop with the factory installed Windows 10 OS.

The B&W printer had drivers in the printer. When it is plugged into the computer it is recognized as a disc drive. The drivers are then downloaded to the computer and installed with your permission. These are probably Window 7 drivers.

The drivers for the color HP 1518ni printer are preloaded in the Windows 10 operating system.

Both printers are working well.

Posted from Android

Date: 08/20/16 08:51

BRAtkinson Wrote:
> Microsoft has even gone so far as to make deals
> with the hardware vendors for Windows 10 computers
> to NOT produce device drivers for pre-Win 10
> versions!  What that means is that in coming
> years, and to a limited degree already, one cannot
> buy a Windows 10 computer/tablet/smartphone and
> replace that with Wndows 7, or 8.1.  I call that
> corporate conspiracy, but so far, Uncle Sam
> doesn't think so.

Have any valid proof?

> As I have discovered while keeping my own as well
> as a friends' old, Windows XP computers
> 'alive'...programs and features magically stop
> working, all by themselves. 

Not true. What ever programs you have will contine to work. UNLESS the program has a phone home feature that the vendor controls.

Anti-virus software
> support for XP computers?  Fading fast. 

Rightly so.  Why woud a vendor continue to spend money for a market that is fading away?

Most of
> all, Internet Explorer...last XP compatible
> version is release 8.  Many, many websites will
> no longer communicate with IE8. 

Again, rightly so. If you are a company with a strong dynamic website, you are going to concentrate your development and money where it is most usable. Not on being compatible to a ever smaller quantity of older versions.

Even video
> players & related codecs used by Youtube and
> Facebook require newer versions that are not
> available for use with XP. 

Same as above.

My XP computer has
> long been a non-internet computer used for
> software with no forward compatibility from XP or
> programs too costly to upgrade. 

So then what is your gripe. If it is not connected, you have nothing to complain about.

My friend uses
> his XP box mostly for word processing and email
> these days.  The older version of MS Outlook he's
> using doesn't have features availlable on his
> other devices such as leaving the email on the
> server, etc. 

Then your friend hasn't spent the effort to find out how to do that.

In short, Microsoft wants to make
> absolutely sure everyone will march to THEIR
> drummer and have to continually upgrade and pay
> for the privelege until we die! 

OK, so Microsoft is guilty of following in the footsteps of Adobe, Jave, Apple and others.

Date: 08/20/16 17:45

jst3751 Wrote:
> BRAtkinson Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Microsoft has even gone so far as to make deals
> > with the hardware vendors for Windows 10
> computers
> > to NOT produce device drivers for pre-Win 10
> > versions!  What that means is that in coming
> > years, and to a limited degree already, one
> cannot
> > buy a Windows 10 computer/tablet/smartphone and
> > replace that with Wndows 7, or 8.1.  I call
> that
> > corporate conspiracy, but so far, Uncle Sam
> > doesn't think so.
>
> Have any valid proof?

Microsoft: Skylake owners must upgrade to Windows 10 within 18 months, future CPUs will require it

Next-Gen CPUs Will Only Support Windows 10

Latest Microsoft PR fail: New PCs don’t support Windows 7, nor 8.1

> > As I have discovered while keeping my own as
> well
> > as a friends' old, Windows XP computers
> > 'alive'...programs and features magically stop
> > working, all by themselves. 
>
> Not true. What ever programs you have will contine
> to work. UNLESS the program has a phone home
> feature that the vendor controls.
>
Using Internet Explorer on you XP computer, try getting ANYTHING from Youtube to work!  Even with Firefox, videos on his Facebook won't play due to inavailability of codecs, or the latest Facebook video download.

> Anti-virus software
> > support for XP computers?  Fading fast. 
>
> Rightly so.  Why woud a vendor continue to spend
> money for a market that is fading away?
>
> Most of
> > all, Internet Explorer...last XP compatible
> > version is release 8.  Many, many websites
> will
> > no longer communicate with IE8. 
>
> Again, rightly so. If you are a company with a
> strong dynamic website, you are going to
> concentrate your development and money where it is
> most usable. Not on being compatible to a ever
> smaller quantity of older versions.
>
> Even video
> > players & related codecs used by Youtube and
> > Facebook require newer versions that are not
> > available for use with XP. 
>
> Same as above.
>
> My XP computer has
> > long been a non-internet computer used for
> > software with no forward compatibility from XP
> or
> > programs too costly to upgrade. 
>
> So then what is your gripe. If it is not
> connected, you have nothing to complain about.

I'm not griping since I don't connect with it any longer.  But my friend still does.  As he recently got laid off when his employer of 24 years closed their doors, money is unavailable for anything new.

>
> My friend uses
> > his XP box mostly for word processing and email
> > these days.  The older version of MS Outlook
> he's
> > using doesn't have features availlable on his
> > other devices such as leaving the email on the
> > server, etc. 
>
> Then your friend hasn't spent the effort to find
> out how to do that.
>
> In short, Microsoft wants to make
> > absolutely sure everyone will march to THEIR
> > drummer and have to continually upgrade and pay
> > for the privelege until we die! 
>
> OK, so Microsoft is guilty of following in the
> footsteps of Adobe, Jave, Apple and others.

Exactly.  Open your wallets & credit cards to pay monthly fees for Windows, just like Office 360 and Adobe CC+LR.  Gotta keep the cash cow running and don't allow anyone to leave...even if they DON"T add new largely useless features to their products.

Date: 08/21/16 16:43
Author: cchan006

BRAtkinson Wrote:
> Exactly.  Open your wallets & credit cards to pay
> monthly fees for Windows, just like Office 360 and
> Adobe CC+LR.  Gotta keep the cash cow running and
> don't allow anyone to leave...even if they DON"T
> add new largely useless features to their
> products.

I got out of that trap after Windows 98. Ever since then, I've been "upgrading" by buying secondhand or "new old stock" machines on the cheap with licensed software pre-installed. But Microsoft is targeting people like me, too, with the subscription model.

Microsoft was definitely being sneaky with the evolving video codec standards, baiting users to upgrade to the next Windows version and not making new ones available on the current version... but indepedent developers found ways around that, which I took advantage of. They won't be playing that game anymore, because Windows 10 is supposed to be the "final" version. If standards evolve, they (or someone else) will have to make the new codecs available, whatever the price might be. Of course, Microsoft's betting on the standards evolving slower, like they are betting on Moore's Law being dead.

Corporate conspiracy? Sure. Illegal? Probably not, and standard practice. If consumers weren't so blind, maybe they'd conspire less. Anyway, I'm not mad at Microsoft because XP and Windows 7 prove that they did a great job, with people so fiercely loyal to those versions. Linux folks understand that loyalty, so if you do a little research, you'll find them baiting the XP users with Linux distributions with "XP-like" interfaces.

Date: 08/21/16 20:12

cchan006 Wrote:
> BRAtkinson Wrote:
> -----
> > Exactly.  Open your wallets & credit cards to
> pay
> > monthly fees for Windows, just like Office 360
> and
> > Adobe CC+LR.  Gotta keep the cash cow running
> and
> > don't allow anyone to leave...even if they
> DON"T
> > add new largely useless features to their
> > products.
>
> I got out of that trap after Windows 98. Ever
> since then, I've been "upgrading" by buying
> secondhand or "new old stock" machines on the
> cheap with licensed software pre-installed. But
> Microsoft is targeting people like me, too, with
> the subscription model.

Other than my first PC-XT, I've always built my own computers as I'm a speed freak and overclock the CPUs slightly.  I've always 'kept pace' with Windows versions, taking every other one, so I went 98, 2000, XP, and Win 7, but installing them after they've been out for more than a year or two.  Often, the next version is already available, like Fista...er...Vista.  Buying OEM versions of Windows saves $ as well.  For licensed software, I've taken to buying one-or-two release behind versions on ebay for a song compared to what they were priced at when new.  But for Lightroom and Photoshop Elements, my upgrading platforms forced upgrading versions, which I had to do again when I upgraded my cameras as well!

The unfortunate reality is, as everyone knows, there's no money in it for companies supporting their products that run on outdated versions of Windows.  That's just good business.  So, every time I build my next computer, I tell myself this is the last one...it'll last me until I die (I retired the 2nd time 18 months ago).  Then, a couple years later, my new camera with more CPU-hogging megapixels to process RAW images, I need more horse power, etc, etc, and get stuck upgrading again.  As I like 'snappy' response in Lightroom and Photoshop Elements, I'm at the high end of the 'horsepower' department with an overclocked 8 processor computer, 16GB RAM, and SSDs.      

Date: 08/22/16 10:37

BRAtkinson Wrote:
> jst3751 Wrote:
> -----
> > BRAtkinson Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Microsoft has even gone so far as to make
> deals
> > > with the hardware vendors for Windows 10
> > computers
> > > to NOT produce device drivers for pre-Win 10
> > > versions!  What that means is that in coming
> > > years, and to a limited degree already, one
> > cannot
> > > buy a Windows 10 computer/tablet/smartphone
> and
> > > replace that with Wndows 7, or 8.1.  I call
> > that
> > > corporate conspiracy, but so far, Uncle Sam
> > > doesn't think so.
> >
> > Have any valid proof?
>
> Microsoft: Skylake owners must upgrade to Windows
> 10 within 18 months, future CPUs will require it
>
> Next-Gen CPUs Will Only Support Windows 10
>
> Latest Microsoft PR fail: New PCs don’t support
> Windows 7, nor 8.1

So, no, you do not have proof of hardware vendors NOT providing drivers. Having the OS tied to specific CPUs is quite different, and is exactly what Apple has been doing for decades.

> > > As I have discovered while keeping my own as
> > well
> > > as a friends' old, Windows XP computers
> > > 'alive'...programs and features magically
> stop
> > > working, all by themselves. 
> >
> > Not true. What ever programs you have will
> contine
> > to work. UNLESS the program has a phone home
> > feature that the vendor controls.
> >
> Using Internet Explorer on you XP computer, try
> getting ANYTHING from Youtube to work!  Even with
> Firefox, videos on his Facebook won't play due to
> inavailability of codecs, or the latest Facebook
> video download.

Nice trying mixing apples and oranges. You said programs. Youtube and Facebook are not programs. They are Web Services that use web browsers. Completely different situation.

> > My XP computer has
> > > long been a non-internet computer used for
> > > software with no forward compatibility from
> XP
> > or
> > > programs too costly to upgrade. 
> >
> > So then what is your gripe. If it is not
> > connected, you have nothing to complain about.
>
> I'm not griping since I don't connect with it any
> longer.  But my friend still does.  As he
> recently got laid off when his employer of 24
> years closed their doors, money is unavailable for
> anything new.

Sorry to hear that. However that is a different situation and conversation as to how that can be helped.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1325 seconds