Home Open Account Help 395 users online

Railfan Technology > Another kind of "malware" to watch out for

Date: 09/15/16 05:14
Another kind of "malware" to watch out for
Author: E25

I received a PC Magazine computer tech post this morning discussing a formidable-sounding "destructive" USB flash drive that plugs into a computer's USB port and "destroys" the computer "within seconds."

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/235328-computer-killing-usb-drives-now-on-sale-for-less-than-60?mailing_id=2150101&mailing=ExtremeTech&mailingID=149BBD1BDE63EC68016849A5D849DFB1

Now that would be a really bad way to start out one's day!

-- Greg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/16 06:14 by E25.

Date: 09/15/16 07:59
Re: Another kind of "malware" to watch out for
Author: Frisco1522

Sometimes my wife will click on a FB posting and she gets a screen with a warning signal, a voice telling her that she has a virus and flashing.  I can shut it down with the three finger salute, do a scan and it never finds anything.   This reminds me of the douches who call telling you that you have a problem with Windows.

Date: 09/15/16 19:43
Author: gsnyder

I have a Win10 machine that was doing the same thing and Kaspersky never found anything. On a whim, I tdownloaded Malewarebytes and it found, cleaned a bunch of stuff. Haven't had problems since

Date: 09/15/16 21:38
Author: wa4umr

I told the guy from "Microsoft Technical Support" that I had an Apple computer.  In his broken English with an Indian accent, he told me he could fix that too.

I can't post a direct link but go to you tube and search "Tom Mabe telemarketer."  This guy knows how to handle them.  He has several of them.  The one when he plays an FBI agent is one of the best.

John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/16 14:21 by wa4umr.

Date: 09/16/16 08:33
Author: Frisco1522

The Tom Mabe  skit is hysterical.  I play it once in a while when I need a chuckle.
I strung one of the "windows" guys along for about ten minutes by playing dumb.  After he went through his spiel one last time, I asked him how my Andersen double hung windows were causing a problem with their server.  He called me a bad name.  In English.

Date: 10/29/16 10:12
Author: NebraskaZephyr

When "Windows Technical Support" calls me, I always say "Oh, my. I have five computers. What is the exact IP address of the one that's causing the trouble?"

​Click. Dial tone.

NZ

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0409 seconds