Home Open Account Help 215 users online

Railfan Technology > Oat Mtn question

Date: 09/15/16 15:53
Oat Mtn question
Author: CPRR

Is Oat Mtn north of Chatsworth still a UP transmission site? If so are the frequency for the coast line through the valley still 160.545? Having trouble picking traffic on my scanner

Thanks

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/15/16 23:27
Re: Oat Mtn question
Author: jkurt

So far I think it is.  UP hasn't changed that I am aware of.  Its still 160.545.  What kind of antenna are you using?  You might want to upgrade your antenna.  What scanner model do you have? The sensitivity is how much it can bring in.   If you are having trouble you might be using one that isn't very sensitive.  Try using your scwhelce.  Not sure if that is spelled right but I think you get the idea.  Make it go to where you hear the hiss static and then turn it so you don't hear it.  You should be able to pick up weaker signals as well as strong ones.  Narrowbanding has occurred Jan 1 2013.  That might have deminshed your range possibly depending on how far away you are from Oat Mtn.  How far are you?  Also be careful when you take your antenna off there is two copper pieces in the BNC so if those get damaged they can render your scanner useless.  Hope this helps.

From

Kurt

Date: 09/16/16 07:38
Author: CPRR

Radio Shack Pro 96
160 MHz rubber ducky
5 miles max from Oat

I can hear Metrolink dispatcher but not clearly, can not understand any calls by the crews. When at Chatsworth station, can hear the crew calls when next to the train.

I can hear weather clearly. I wonder if the unit can not handle the narrow bands

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/17/16 16:54
Author: jkurt

Hello.

I have a Pro-528 and it seems to be okay with narrowband.  That model should be as well.  You say you have a specifically tuned rubber ducky for the 160MHZ  how long is it?  I have a telecsoping whio antenna.  It seems okay for the railroads as long as I put it up high on a bookshelf.  I know narrowband does deminish the reception by 20% of what you would get in wideband.  I always liked wideband better though my scanner at one time could carry all the way down to Ssn Diego.  Now I get reception down to about Escondido.  Maybe one of the copper parts are damaged you might want to go to Radioshack and see if they can get it repaired.  Or else replaced with a new one..  Hope this helps

From

Kurt

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0392 seconds